Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193747 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 02:26:39 AM »
The down pipes are now affixed and the left hand one is the LP cylinder exhaust to the condenser, Also the bass is begun

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2015, 05:08:59 AM »

Also the bass is begun

I guess you can't keep a good luthier down. Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »

Also the bass is begun

I guess you can't keep a good luthier down. Hugh.
Hugh, I ment to say.........the repair to the double bass is begun !!  Also we have managed to stop patchwerk rail demolishing  Trowse railway station !!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
Funny how some people will just happen to have a broken double bass hanging around. My acoustic guitar has an issue in the same spot, but not to the same extent. What glue will you use?

Good news about the station, what do you think might become of it now?

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 11:14:26 PM »
Funny how some people will just happen to have a broken double bass hanging around. My acoustic guitar has an issue in the same spot, but not to the same extent. What glue will you use?

Good news about the station, what do you think might become of it now?

Cheers, Hugh.
Hi Hugh, the bass is now gluing.......the secret is to use very strong clamps with extra wedgey shaped bits of metal to get the clamps central in the correct planes,because instruments are all curves etc etc etc. I use resin W glue for most things now. The station is being left to slowly rot away as far as i can tell. It is not listed but is in a conservation area, so it is still not 100% safe yet.
Willbert.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »
hi,The Beeleigh is now on hold for a bit as i am waiting to go down and make more measurements etc .I have photographed and measured up the Hedley engine in Cambridge and have started with a perspex base to get things in the right place. I will start a new post called The Hedley beam engine.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »
That Hedley is a graceful engine, should make a really nice model. Looking forward to the build!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
I have revisited the Beeleigh mill engine and taken more photos and drawings. I took down an endoscope but, that will take some getting used to. Should i copy the broken steam chest bolt ?? More of the engine workings is becoming clearer and the two offset down pipe protusions on the Cyl jacket appear to be both used for the LP cyl exhaust system to the condenser. This was possibly made like this to balance up the casting process as well as looking aesthetically pleasing?. I also fell over and hurt my shoulder, and the water bypass pipe on the Moriss burst as we came into Norwich, hence lots of steam !!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
Engineering as an art form!.....Sweet! :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
I am now continuing with this build as the Hedley engine is almost finished...........This engine will be quite challenging as all the victorian cavetto mouldings will have to be reproduced accurately as well as the beam end profiles. i may make an extruding tool to squeeze out lengths of lead solder bar of the correct profile. this will be bent around the curves and glued into position...........I have not decided exactly what scale i will be using yet although 16BA bolts and screws are available!!It will be mostly bar stock construction but will see what happens.......some pics showing the castings a !!nd also the linkage for the Horsepower indicator, except how it works is a mystery

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
drawings to start on the engine I will start with the base first. this is quite plain and as they engine will be 1/16 scale, it will be about 10"X 3" X .5" small/large......As the flywheel is quite large and there is the condenser and air pump beneath the base it will be built on some sort of plinth brick or stone maybe.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »
I have now purchased a piece of 15mm X150MM black bar for the base and after cutting to length one side is milled to give a square facing edge to use as the datum point for marking out, The base is a massive slab and should be 1/2" thick in 1/16 scale but i shall leave it 15mm for now. there are various lugs that are used to position the A frames and i think they may be cast in as there is a lot of room for the packing and although there are nuts on them there are no other holding down bolts visible to secure the base. The retaining bolts are usually very long, about 4' long to keep the base secure. One way to see if they are cast in is to use a magnet and iron fillings. Also if the a frame does need aligning prior to bolting down the strain on the lugs might shear them off. The base has cutouts for the engine to be handed on the base although the gap for the crankshaft and flywheel cannot be reversed. some pics......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2015, 12:36:23 AM »
The base slab has been angle grounded off, and milled to size ready to be marked out.........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »
I will be making a perspex model of this to see how everything fits together..........this will just be a simple representation so no mouldings etc....

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2015, 01:36:51 AM »
Willy I will be following alone on another one of your great model engineering projects. I am pulling up a chair for the ride.

:cheers:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal