Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194449 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #795 on: July 16, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »
Three new photos from Beeleigh mill (courtesy of BMRG )  showing the Air pump valves. I thought these may have been Hippopotamus hide flap valves ! but they are metal to metal flap valves as can be seen in the pics. They are still in working order and there was no packing in the pump valve apparantly, just using the water condensate to seal it with the vacuum suction.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #796 on: July 16, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
Great to see that kind of detail. I just went and looked up the restoration group, they have a nice website with details on the mill:
    http://beeleighmill.co.uk/

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #797 on: July 21, 2017, 01:12:18 AM »
more finishing and painting.........

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #798 on: July 21, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »
The paint work really look good Steam Guy Willy and that is a very nice website.
Thomas

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #799 on: July 22, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
more work on the cylinder table ,cutting out the metal with a drill, then carving out to size with a broach and finishing with files. Also attaching the bearing trunnions with square headed bolts, these are ordinary 10BA hex bolts filed to shape....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #800 on: July 26, 2017, 02:34:55 AM »
more finishing and painting...............

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #801 on: July 26, 2017, 02:57:07 AM »
Wow, what a change! Looking great. Are these the original colors?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #802 on: July 26, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
Hi Chris, Unfortunately there is no indication of the original colours as after the mill burnt down in 1875 it was left open to the elements for 100 odd years until a new roof was erected over it.!! So it is in its very rusty condition apart from a coating of red oxide on the standards. They thought they found some indication of white paint but i don't think this would have been original.  Yes it is looking ok but the paint has now concealed all the actually construction details and i may be getting requests for the "Castings" !!!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #803 on: July 26, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
The paint seems to me to highlight the details better and that is good. I just put the first coat of primer on my engine, so I am following in your footsteps.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #804 on: July 29, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »
A bit more work on the sweep rod........making the cotters and straps.........So these are quite small and they should have square holes cut int the thickness of the metal ,what i thought i could do was to to cheat and just drill a hole through both parts and insert the cotters and straps one piece of metal, from both sides ,i did try this but may end up doing it properly........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #805 on: August 02, 2017, 02:01:51 PM »
Still making and refinishing the parts prior to painting......a slight diversion talking about beam engine columns. the entasis is the slight bowing of the column that is made so that when viewed from afar the column looks as though it is parallel rather than slightly narrowing in the middle. so the conchordial projection is achieved by making the column usually 8 times higher than the bottom diameter ,( roughly the length of your foot to your height) A drawing is made by starting with the height of the column drawn with a right angle length the same. the height is then divided into 8 and 8 lines drawn thus , as in the drawing.  The lines drawn are longer as they reach the top of the column. A measurement of half the bottom diameter is then drawn from the centre line and where these intersect is the diameters of the column at the places at right angles to the centre line. This may sound a bit long winded but perusal of the drawing so make this clear. Fluted columns always incorporated entasis and the grooves at the top and bottom were semi circular. The curves width to the ridge width was always 1/5 to 4/5ths. And all columns had 24 flutes and were worked out with grooves 12 degrees and ridges 3 degrees......So making these columns in stone and wood were quite strait forward but truing to do this with CNC might be quite difficult as mentioned by others on this site. This diatribe is now finished and i hope it has been helpful !! With the Bridewell beam engine and also the engine in the jan Leno museum the fluted column has been strengthened by the addition of the curved bracing casting as the column was not strong enough to with stand the forces from the engine and flywheel.The repair can be seen on the gothic beam bearing casting. This column is actually 1 to 5 actually.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #806 on: August 02, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
What a clever way to lay out the shape! Similar to the way the camber was worked out for a ship's deck, extended lines from chords of a circle.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #807 on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »
hi Chris, I did not know that about ships decks, and i have always wondered where you start from when you design a ship/boat, lots of secrets therein i bet !!. More work on the engine and it looks like this so far.......still lots to do though, and i will be taking it to Beeleigh on Sunday the 10th of September as part of the national Heritage open Days scheme, Hopefully it will be in steam !!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #808 on: August 02, 2017, 11:26:44 PM »
Very nice Willy.  :ThumbsUp: As I've said before, it's especially interesting with all of the related history.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #809 on: August 05, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
Good progress and as Carl says all the historic details add to the interest  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: 
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal