Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193836 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #600 on: December 21, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »
OK enough said.

Willy, if you'd like, and because you seem genuinely interested in the inner workings.....I'll dig out Peabody next week, and put something together..

Can you "drive" a spreadsheet?   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #601 on: December 21, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
OK enough said.

Willy, if you'd like, and because you seem genuinely interested in the inner workings.....I'll dig out Peabody next week, and put something together..

Can you "drive" a spreadsheet?   

Dave

Ok thanks ,i can get someone to help me do that i am sure.........There is quite an interesting article on the   Stumf una-flow system in the currant issue of Engineering in Miniature at the moment, talking about Ti  & Te  etc etc
Cheers  Willy........

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #602 on: December 21, 2016, 09:30:31 PM »
Ahhh Uniflow...it's a bit different...but fascinating as well.

I'll dig up the pages from the book.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #603 on: December 25, 2016, 12:26:03 AM »
Ok so the engine is all connected up again and the motion work all adjusted to get everything turning over smoothly, I have taken note of the previous advice and now have a copper pipe connecting the engine to the boiler. I do have a supply of copper pipe ant fittings so it is quite quick and easy to connect up properly. i did another steam test but it did not work ,so will have to think about the timing adjustment. Is there a convention as to the direction of travel for the flywheel on these engines if they are not required to work in reverse mode ?? any suggestions ?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #604 on: December 25, 2016, 02:49:59 AM »
Were there enough bits of the original engine still connected up to work out which way it should turn? Seems like if you offset in the same direction from the main crank pin you should be good.

Or, if it was all in a rusty pile in the corner, never mind!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #605 on: December 25, 2016, 02:45:50 AM »
[quote author=crueby
Were there enough bits of the original engine still connected up to work out which way it should turn? Seems like if you offset in the same direction from the main crank pin you should be good.

Or, if it was all in a rusty pile in the corner, never mind!

Hi, yes it is all still connected and it looks like the crank pin and the eccentric sheave are actually in line rather than offset. The valves look as though they are at the top of their travel and the piston rods are just a bit raised from the middle position. I think the flywheel should turn into the middle of the engine to make the engine sit firmly secured down onto  the bed. anyway i shall read up on this in my books.......So these are the photos...........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #606 on: December 25, 2016, 05:34:43 AM »
They are in line, but since the crankshaft goes vertical to the beam while the valve rod goes horizontal to the valve crank, there is actually a 90 degree offset. If your valve cranks are all the same orientation as the original, then the rotation direction would work out the same. Just turn the flywheel and see which direction makes the valve open at just after tdc and bdc. A little tweaking is probably needed for travel distance.

Offline plataman

« Reply #607 on: December 25, 2016, 03:59:11 AM »
What a fantastic project and huge challenge! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to model this unique engine, I am envious and will follow your progress with great interest. Have a great holiday! Terry across the pond in Texas.

Online sco

« Reply #608 on: December 25, 2016, 04:38:35 AM »
Still following studiously Willy.  What do you think the stepped cone was for just inside the eccentric?

Merry Christmas to you,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #609 on: December 25, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Hi Sco it is for the governor but why it has 4 steps  is unusual, perhaps they were not taking any chances to have to take it all apart again !!   seasons greetings etc etc ...........

Online sco

« Reply #610 on: December 25, 2016, 12:37:11 PM »
So the governor was belt driven - isn't that risky in that if the belt breaks the engine runs out of control or is there something that shuts the steam off if the belt breaks?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #611 on: December 25, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Hey Willy,

Merry Christmas!     Keep that line short so it doesn't condense out all your steam.

Unless it has a reverse gear, it will only run in one direction.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #612 on: December 25, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »
You can insulate the copper with some string, just keep tying half hitches....works well

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #613 on: December 25, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »

So the governor was belt driven - isn't that risky in that if the belt breaks the engine runs out of control or is there something that shuts the steam off if the belt breaks?

Simon.

Hi Simon, this is the picture of the main steam valve and the governor connection. What is happening inside the steam chest is a bit of a mystery, but, as the governor linkage goes through the middle of the steam valve into the tapered part, and it has a handle attached it may be that if the belt does break then the inner valve will cut the steam off automatically. When the engine is started perhaps this governor linkage is held open by hand till the engine picks up speed to keep it open.........

Online sco

« Reply #614 on: December 25, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »
OK Willy that makes sense, keep up the good work,

Best wishes,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal