Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193940 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #540 on: November 01, 2016, 01:56:36 AM »
I have finished the valve gear and it has been posted on VIMEO the link is      Valve events Beeliegh Mill   I will try to post it on this site but so far have not been able to. I have not got much done over the last 2 months as i live in a council house and have had my 5 year inspection and have been told i am a hoarder and have to "clear" the property. so i have had 3 more inspections and it is still not good enough as they have a duty of care to not let me hurt myself....rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.........................anyway the motion work is next on the list

Well, if the problem is too many steam engine models, you can send the  here!   :Lol:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #541 on: November 01, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »

Well, if the problem is too many steam engine models, you can send the  here!   :Lol:
[/quote]
Thanks, i'll let6 the council know !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #542 on: November 01, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »
Here is the vid of the valve events

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/189639278" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="Not a valid vimeo URL">Valve events Beeliegh Mill</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user44309902">robert Bailey</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:24:01 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #543 on: November 01, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »
That is a wonderful machine to watch all the movements going! Such beautiful work...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #544 on: November 01, 2016, 09:48:38 PM »
That is looking terrific! Thanks for the video of the valves - its going to be a fun one to watch under power.
 :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #545 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
Just awesome Willy, and love the motions........ :praise2:

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #546 on: November 05, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »
Thanks for the comments, I'm also quite pleased and impressed !! Started on the motion work with a mock up of the pistons ,rods ,crossheads and straps. All the motion rods will have to be made for the movements to work smoothly though....
and still "clearing the property" as per orders from the council inspector  :( :( :(

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #547 on: November 05, 2016, 03:31:29 AM »
Hi Willy,
 Still following along & really like the action so far of the motion works, it's going to be memorizing when you finally get it all done.
 Bloody council workers, don't they know that this work in progress is far more important than reducing important storage for future projects  :lolb: I hope you are being very selective on what you are moving!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #548 on: November 05, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
Hi Willy,
 Still following along & really like the action so far of the motion works, it's going to be memorizing when you finally get it all done.
 Bloody council workers, don't they know that this work in progress is far more important than reducing important storage for future projects  :lolb: I hope you are being very selective on what you are moving!

Cheers Kerrin

Hi Kerrin.....yes i am trying to get things to the people that will really appreciate the stuff.......I have made a few more parts ,namely the reach rods ,and have found that the Watt  parallel motion seams to work ok without the radius rods in place !! so the radius rods stanchions and support rods needs to be made next then a steam test can be done........ :ThumbsUp:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #549 on: November 15, 2016, 03:36:24 PM »
Back to work again after a short holiday in London and then nursing my pulled back muscles.....The motion support stanchions are made and the end stretcher is made using a built up part. the support stanchions fit into rounded parts that are annealed ball bearings ,drilled and silver solder onto the cross rod. This rod has the rear profusion that is a flat piece of stock drilled and soldered in place before filing to shape. The balls are annealed by heating to red hot for a time and then left to cool slowly by putting the back hearth piece over the top of the balls so they take longer to cool down........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #550 on: November 16, 2016, 01:13:22 AM »
The motion support bracket is continued by making the back part, this is made by drilling a hole in a piece of steel that the shaft will go through to keep everything in alignment. the balls have been drilled and the whole lot soldered together. Once soldered it is filed to shape and attached to the engine casting.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #551 on: November 16, 2016, 01:59:59 AM »
Looking great!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #552 on: November 17, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Still with you Willy and looking at some outstanding work. You know .......I........like......../ :Love:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #553 on: November 18, 2016, 02:42:04 AM »
Thanks Don, and i am now ready to try out the engine under steam. The dummy motion work is completed and the correct items will be made using the dimensions from the dummy ones. Not everything lines up exactly so there will need to be some creative fitting and adjustments made. So i have to make some gaskets and the LP steam chest cover, also lots of odd bolting down items to keep everything stable and sturdy......... This means taking everything apart and hoping it will go back in the same place ...........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #554 on: November 18, 2016, 03:10:44 AM »
Great to see the motion links all in place, the shape of that center part makes sense now. Best of luck on it's first steaming!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal