Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193739 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2016, 01:04:25 AM »
Very intuitive Willy............. :ThumbsUp:

Hi Don , I think the only way to do it is think of it as a metal patten using solder instead of glue, which is a sort of hot glue i suppose !!,,Thanks for the comments......
willbert

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #346 on: June 04, 2016, 01:01:52 AM »
The webs are now soldered in place on the sweep rod so just the top bearing assy to make and fit......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #347 on: June 04, 2016, 01:09:46 AM »
That looks great!   :popcorn:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #348 on: June 04, 2016, 01:10:58 AM »
The rod turned out great!

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
More drawings of the sweep rod components.......I have been looking carefully at the photos and dimensions of the sweep rod but have found there are some discrepancies, so, i may make a new one and put this one on the acrylic model........I have been really under the weather the last few weeks and saw the doctor and he asked me if i did "soldering" !! he then sent me for an x-ray and i have cloudy lungs !! so he gave me 2 lots of antibiotics and am suffering from weird side effects.......any way the sun is shining and the allotment is looking great so everything is gravy........!!There is planing notice round the corner from me about the old electricity building and they are going to reinstall the heat pump into the building.....using the river as the primary source. And one of the model engineers used to work there and he said that all the brass pipes in the river are still there as well as the heat exchanger stuff !! So scuba diving and scrap metal merchants spring to mind !! but not with my lungs........ I also have a book all about commercial heat pumps with lots of photos of the duke street one............

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2016, 01:56:43 AM »
more work on the top straps, the top parts are made of steel and the main part will be soldered to the sweep rod .the bearings are next and the straps need tiding up and attaching with gib and cotters.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2016, 02:03:18 AM »
Some intricate machining on those parts, looking great!

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #352 on: June 11, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »
I'm intrigued by the brass bits as they look so similar to the steel straps. I'm looking forward to the next instalment see how it all goes together. Fascinating.
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »

I'm intrigued by the brass bits as they look so similar to the steel straps. I'm looking forward to the next instalment see how it all goes together. Fascinating.
Hi John ,The big square lump is the end of the square stock that is left when turning the sweep rod. It has been left to the last minute to return to the 4 jaw SC chuck to finish turning the socket arrangement (1BA thread) to attach to the top strap holder part. The threaded part where the adjusting screw at the bottom of the rod is located has the chamfer for the revolving centre to locate. The top strap bearings are turned up and the square part of the bearing is made from square  stock . As the saw cut is quite wide the two bearings are drilled and reamed and when sawn off ,the saw is offset to one side to leave a full half reamed portion.....There is now a lot of fettling and polishing to do and also the gib and cotters to fit..........

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #354 on: June 12, 2016, 12:50:25 AM »
Willy you continue to impress me with your fabrication work. Impressive results mate...... :praise2:

Don

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #355 on: June 12, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
Fettle on Willy! Wonderful stuff.
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #356 on: June 12, 2016, 09:46:43 PM »
thats coming along very nicely, keep up the good work  :ThumbsUp:
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:36 AM »
Impressive work Mr. Willy!

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #358 on: June 15, 2016, 02:48:47 AM »
I have started on the flywheel hub ,first the drawing then cutting out using hacksaw and angle grinder, the hole 1/2" is drilled and reamed. The outside is then turned using a sawn off 1/2" bolt in the collet chuck and bolted up tight. the slots for the spokes are milled out. I was going to use the rotary table but decided it would be quicker and just as accurate using a hex bolt and nut turning it round after each cut using the hexagonal datum . The cut outs of the hub are then positioned using the spoke marking out tool that i 'invented' !!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2016, 03:03:53 AM »
Thats a very interesting spoke pattern, and an interesting marking gauge(s) too!

:popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal