Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194166 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »
Stem Guy Willie,

Is that the Dr. (Dionysius) Lardner who entered the fracas over Box Tunnel to question Brunel's competence?

Jerry
Yes it is the same Lardy Dinosaur  himself .......he questioned quite a few people in his time but as he was a Rev then he was still smarting from the churches stance that the sun went round the flat earth !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 02:21:38 AM »
the HP cylinders with its covers and oversize square bolts ! I still haven't decided on the exact scale size yet for this engine. As the flywheel is about 14' 6" and i only have a Myford that may limit the finished dimensions . :-\

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »
continuing the LP cylinder, also i have modified the new Myford tailstock tube part ,To stop drills and reamers etc etc turning in the 2 morse taper part i have drilled through the shaft and inserted an 8mm grub screw in the position of the tang !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
More to the LP cylinder and I have decided on a scale of 1/18th as my lathe can only turn up to about ten inches for the flywheel.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 03:14:44 AM »
The LP cylinder block is nearing completion. Using the rotabroach speeds up material removal and also provides a pile of short circular stock.And ......................last year i had an accident with my Apple macbook air when it fell into a tub of water!!! needless to stay it stopped working..........so i purchased another one fairly cheaply any way today i tried to see if it had come back to life ....and to my surprise it just fired up like a time capsule and it is working again !!!!! so if it happens to any one else just wait 212 days..........the battery is not working however ..only on mains power....

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 04:46:38 AM »
This is a very interesting approach Willy, I'm watching when my internet connection permits. Did you get the new tailstock nut? Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
The maquette is continued with, however on the LP cylinder side there are three pipes that come down from the steam chest and i don't know why there are 3 of them. The Middle one is foe clearance for the cyl down pipe on the inside, and one of them is to take the exhast to the pump. But what function does the other one have apart from balancing the aesthetic visuals, I won't get a chance for a month to look further, so has anyone any ideas ?? Hugh ,I ave bought a Capstain tail stoke drive and am using that for now and i may have located a serviceable one locally Thanks

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 02:27:40 AM »
The porting is being sorted on the maquette, the holes drilled and filled with FIMO to see them in the perspex.! also some 'cooking' to fill the spaces between the two cylinders. Just checking to see if the resin react's or melts the FIMO as this will form a 'core' to complete the exhast channel twixt the HP cylinder to the LP valve chest, and see how well it adheres to the perspex on its own  it seems to be ok :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  Also for a bit of light relief a pop up book, A leaf taken from my Modern Power Generators book  (not literately ) This is to show future generations how it was done, as every thing in the future will be solar,wind,tide etc etc etc.

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
One question and one comment.

What the heck is FIMO?

If you look at Lardner's commentaries and pitches on any subject you will see that he was a particularly nasty piece of work. Opinionated is one description used, he should have stuck to the subjects he knew something about.

I know one should not speak ill of the dead but he must have cost this Nation a fortune in wasted time.

Jerry :old:
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Online sco

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
Fimo is a modelling clay.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
One question and one comment.

What the heck is FIMO?

If you look at Lardner's commentaries and pitches on any subject you will see that he was a particularly nasty piece of work. Opinionated is one description used, he should have stuck to the subjects he knew something about.

I know one should not speak ill of the dead but he must have cost this Nation a fortune in wasted time.

Jerry :old:FIMO is a modelling composition used to make novelty items for sale in craft shops etc , it is a much used toy by children etc for making little animals etc, It is first modelled and then put in the oven to harden rock hard. Yes Lardner.................couldn't agree more ! A bit like trethithick patenteing the wheel/crank, that was used in spinning wheels for centuries before he came along !!,        More experiments with resin  it is now 12 hours old and is still very pliable !! more pics.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »
Err...what what sort of 'experiment' were you conducting with your namesake confection? Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 02:36:18 AM »
The perspex model is nearing completion apart from the LP exhaust arrangment. I have used green Fimo for the inlet ports and red for the HP exhaust to the LP steam chest . Also there is extra metal between the two cylinders which will be filled with Resin. However i need to get nice fillets between the two cylinders ,hence the convienently sized miniature (free samples from the local pub)I am going to Cambridge on Wednesday to photograph and measure up the small Hedley steam engine whigh will be undertaken concurrently with the Beeleigh

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
I am now using 'Resin' to fill the gaps with fillets and to hold the two cylinders together. as i have to rely on gravity this is taking a while as i have to wait 3 days for it to set. I also have to build it up between the two cylinders at the top to encase the red exhaust port to the LP steam chest using plastocine I have been to the Hedley engine in Cambridge and took about 160 photos and am commencing with accurate drawings to build it
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:55:01 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 01:04:17 AM »
The maquette is taking shape and the cross channel for the exhaust transfer is cast around the red Fimo with the resin. The green Fimo denotes the inlet ports and the oange is the LP cylinder exhaust to the condenser.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal