Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194056 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2016, 01:46:40 PM »
Thanks Don and Crueby,  it was quite fun making this and is one more engine in my 'stable' now to get back to the Beeleigh engine with more drawings to do.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2016, 07:26:50 PM »
I have been a bit ill and under the weather the past few days with asthma so have not done much work. I am drawing out the governor details but the gears will be a bit tricky.......is there a way of cutting bevel gears with a Tap or will i have to invent something ? also details of a running contemporary Woolf Compound at The Ram Brewery  London...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »
Sure wish there was still machinery like that around here!

Given your filing and grinding skills, sure you could file the profile of a gear cutter on a piece of tool steel. Do you have a fly cutte and a rotary table or index head? Thats how I cut gears for my first couple clocks.

Hope you are feeling better soon, and back to playing in your shop!

Online sco

« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:19 PM »
Hope you get well soon SGW!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2016, 02:34:00 AM »
The pedestal support bracket for the governor. the square headed bolts are filed up from hex headed bolts and the are just bored into the pedestal rather than the A frame as it is almost impossible to drill and tap this unless you have 1/16 size drills and taps . Am feeling a bit better now after the pills and potions and things.

there might have been if j p morgan had shares in steam !!!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:41:53 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2016, 02:53:58 AM »
Model Engineers Show & Tell Evening 2016    This is the video of my bit of the Norwich society's show and tell meeting ........Please don't tell the caretaker though about 4 mins into it !!!!

Given your filing and grinding skills, sure you could file the profile of a gear cutter on a piece of tool steel. Do you have a fly cutte and a rotary table or index head? Thats how I cut gears for my first clocks

Thanks for that i have never cut gears before but being an Autodidact it will be a new skill in my oeuvre There are 35 teeth on these gears and they are about 13mm outside diameter so we will see what eventualizes as they say across the pond
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:36:19 PM by steam guy willy »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2016, 03:31:25 AM »
Those look like a very simple gear tooth shape, like the ones on a clock. Should be possible to make a single tooth fly cutter for that shape with the edge of a grinding wheel. Or even circular saw cut the gaps with the rotary table for spacing, and round the tips with your trusty file.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2016, 02:25:37 AM »
[quote author=crueby
Those look like a very simple gear tooth shape, like the ones on a clock. Should be possible to make a single tooth fly cutter for that shape with the edge of a grinding wheel. Or even circular saw cut the gaps with the rotary table for spacing, and round the tips with your trusty file.

Hi Crueby, I have thought about your advice and have tried to do this using a dremnel tool in the lathe with the top slide set over 45 degrees  The PCD is at 45 degrees but i think the tooth cutting angle is slightly different with a quite complex tool profile. However the beeleigh gears are quite crude so there is more latitude in the tool shape. The part i have made is just a trial piece so i need to get the correct centre height and a proper cutting tool profile. here are more drawings of the gears and the pedestals
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:36:23 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
Looks like parallel depth bevel gears Willy. I don't think it's anything your filing skills can't manage to fabricate. The sample piece is not bad......

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2016, 01:31:45 AM »

Looks like parallel depth bevel gears Willy. I don't think it's anything your filing skills can't manage to fabricate. The sample piece is not bad......

Don

Hi Don i have had a 2nd go at the gear using the dremel .I ground down a small centre drill to width and removed the point. I moved it to centre height and took 30 cuts,Although it should be 32 as per original. and this is the result...... it will be cut in steel though and it will be interesting to see how they mesh . There is an english penny to get an idea of the size the blanks are about 1/2 " So thanks for the advice and stuff  :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2016, 02:27:39 AM »
Excellent!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
This gear cutting seems to be a bit easier than i expected, and i find that once in the WKSP just looking at the tools and equipment and bar stock available just makes things fall into place & shape. Also although i make drawings with measurements to half a thou once i get on the lathe i just make swarf with the minimum of measuring.............if it sort of looks right then it possibly is right !!  It may be that 50 years of lathe usage helps and pays off in the end !!

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »
if t looks right, then whos going to argue with a few thou here or there??
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
If we leave you on a desert island with a stack of metal, a file, and a c clamp, you would come home in a new steam yacht!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2016, 02:00:15 AM »
If we leave you on a desert island with a stack of metal, a file, and a c clamp, you would come home in a new steam yacht!
[/quote

Yes but only if it is summer in blighty !! I do surprise myself sometimes actually...........So the other gear is cut and they do mesh quite well , I machined up a holder in the lathe and set the speed right down and they ran ok !!  A few pics...i did take a video but that will have to wait a bit......So that bit is sort of done. they are made in brass but if they are dull nickel plated or something they could remain brass........Thanks for the comments  etc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal