Author Topic: Webster Engine Modified  (Read 7602 times)

Offline ironman123

Webster Engine Modified
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:15:57 PM »
I read somewhere that there has been a Webster engine built with valves in the cylinder head.  Has anyone seen a photo of such modification of the webster like that?  Thanks.
Ray
Central Texas

Offline Perry

Re: Webster Engine Modified
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:22 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__FrBQThak" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__FrBQThak</a>

Offline ironman123

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:49:53 PM »
Thanks Perry.
Ray
Central Texas

Offline mjwmyford

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:47:16 PM »
Hello Ironman,

I've recently joined this forum and have just seen your post about the Webster Engine Improved?  I started making the engine using Joe's original plans and decided to design the overhead valve layout after making the base and side frames.  I just thought it would be a good exercise in design and a bit of a challenge,  It turned out to be a major challenge as the valves only just fit into the cylinder head and the flywheel had to be moved to the outside to accommodate the camshaft drive gears.  The engine has been modified a few times since I posted the video on YouTube mainly changes to the carburettor and fitting conventional contact breakers instead of the magnetic trigger.  This has improved the engine no end and it now runs really well.

If you want any more info or pictures please let me know and I'll be happy to supply them.

Mike W (mjwmyford)

Offline ironman123

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »
Thanks Mike for the info.  Did the valve length or valve guide measurements change ?  Any drawings of the mods would be appreciated, showing what I need to do different from the original design of the Webster.  Thanks.
Ray
Central Texas

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »
Perry, I agree with Ironman. If you could/would, please share with us the drawings of your modifications. I have been tempted once again to start the erection process of this engine and have dreamed of doing what you have done and really do not wish to re-invent the wheel if someone else has already done so and is willing to provide their experience.

BC1
Jim

Offline mjwmyford

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:32:33 PM »
All,
Thanks for the interest shown in my version of Joe Webster's amazing little engine.  I would be delighted to share with everyone the design details (drawings) of the engine.  However this won't be easy as the engine was modelled using Solidworks when I had access to a copy.  Unfortunately I don't have access any more, but I do have the part models and some drawings.  I've looked at the drawings using free software supplied by Solidworks and whilst I can understand them they are very amateurish and not really fit for publication.  What I have started doing is importing the models into my latest Cad software and intend to reproduce a full set of drawings and publish them on the forum for all to use (with acknowledgements to Joe Webster of course).  This will probably take about a month or so.  If any of you are keen to get started I could drip feed you the plans roughly in the build sequence.  Just let me know.

I will advise the circulation when posting has started.  Another small point is I'm not a professional draughtsman so the layout of the drawings and dimensioning will be biased to ease machining.  There will be no tolerance on the drawings I will leave it to the machinist to decide which dimensions need to be accurate and which are standard +/- .005 thou.

Once again thanks for your interest and please keep on emailing with any questions.

Mike Wood

Offline ironman123

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 05:14:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on your future posting of the plans.  What CAD program are you using now?  Can you post anything now in DXF format of the drawings you do have?    Thank you.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Offline mjwmyford

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »
Hi Ray,

I'm now using Alibre Design (recently rebadged as Geomagic Design), which I find relatively easy to use and does everything I need.  I may be able to convert some of the drawings to dxf format - do you have a personal email address to send them to?

Can you open or import the attached files.

Mike

Offline ironman123

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 03:14:26 AM »
Mike, do you have the part files to go with the above files.  I can't do anything without the part files.  Thanks
Ray
Central Texas

Offline mjwmyford

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
All,

Sorry for not replying earlier - I've been away on holiday with no Wi-Fi.

I'll upload all the part files in batches in the next day or so.  I hope they will be of use.

Offline mjwmyford

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 06:39:46 PM »
All,

REF: Webster Engine Improved? - Solidworks Models Uploads

I've uploaded the files compressed as RAR files.  If you have any problems unpacking just let me know, I hope they're of use.  I'll continue to create a decent set of drawings which I'll post as soon as possible.

Once again thanks to everyone for the interest shown.

Mike

Offline ironman123

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
Can anyone take the above "rar" files and make readable DXF files or DWG files from them and post them here please?
Ray
Central Texas

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »
What you have in those compressed files are all of the engine parts in Solidworks format.  Most of the parts are exactly the same as the original engine I assume.  Can you identify which parts you want as DXF?

Offline ironman123

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 07:45:22 PM »
Trying to get drawings of the modified head with valves and guides, pushrods and modified cam placement.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal