Author Topic: Kiwi Mk II  (Read 147685 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Kiwi Mk II
« Reply #255 on: May 25, 2015, 11:22:38 AM »
The new piece of material for the cranks shaft has been setting for over a month  ;) This time I decided to do the machining a little differently I hacksawed out the two pieces I didn't want on the opposite side to the crank pin and left the remainder in place, this reduced the amount of lopsided weight that might cause vibration  :lolb:.

Mr Silky taught me just how noisy lathe tools are that are doing intermittent cuts  :embarassed:

So it is now hacksawing time again  :(

Jo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:10:55 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
Glad to see you back on engines again  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I have another week or so of travelling before I get some good workshop time  :(
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #257 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »
Thanks Roger  :)

Kitti has a third crankshaft. It has been tested it goes round and round  ::)

The big end for the new connecting rod for Kiwi has been lapped in and on assembling the engine for a bit of round and round with up and down testing it was found that the connecting rod is either catching the skirt of the cylinder or on the inside of the crankcases so a bit more will need to be taken off  ;)

But that will have to wait a couple of days as I am planning to go and pick up a Mk1 Kiwi and Golly  8) tomorrow

Jo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:13:07 PM by Jo »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #258 on: May 27, 2015, 06:13:50 PM »
You are surely not about to go try and acquire new toys when you have a new, strong man begging your attention at home. . Now c'mon, just look at how stately he looks  and that new tailstock knob is just awesome.  I'm just saying  :LittleDevil:

Big E

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #259 on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:30 PM »
I must try, however difficult I find it, to get on with my normal life as well being there to provide for all of his needs  :embarassed:

The two engines I am picking up are to display at the GMES show in five weeks time ;)

Jo

P.S. Did you notice both Kitti and Kiwi have real studs 8)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #260 on: May 27, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »
Good to see you back at it Jo.  I guess there where many distractions.

Vince

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #261 on: May 27, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »
Jo, I do hope the new chap is happy and now time to get on with the OTHER important stuff,  ENGINES, in the words of a Yankee Southerner,  "Let her rip , tater chip,"

Big E

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »
Left to right: Mk1 Kiwi, the engine as fitted to Golly  8), Kitti and my Mk2 Kiwi.

The Mk1 came from the Jerry Buck collection and Mr Westbury's original experimental engine is the original untouched from the day it crashed in the river, all the way own to the missing con rod and river silt that I am not allowed to clean off  :-\

Jo

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »
Jo

That is pretty cool to own an original Westbury engine; not many folks can match that!

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:06 AM »
Dave, I don't own Golly's engine I am borrowing it to display at the show. Mr Westbury's family donated all of his model engines to the Society of Model and Experimental Engineers  8).

I just happen to know who picked them up from his daughter to be able to trace the right person to ask about borrowing it  ;)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
The rockers took a bit of thinking about and drawing out and I have just noticed that this version of the machining diagram still shows 3.2mm for the step for the push rod tube rather than the 1.6mm it should be  :facepalm:

Starting with a bit of 9.5mm by 4.75 just over 36mm long, the jaws of the vice were clocked so that the edge and face were used as the reference then the two pieces of metal were superglued together :naughty: and the centre pivot hole drilled and reamed. Turning over the steps were then milled for the two bottom faces before drilling the push rod holes and finishing with a ball nosed cutter to get a round bottom to the hole:

Turning over the two sides are milled:

And then an initial shape up first with the mill. The bit I picked out didn't look too clever but less than 20 seconds on the cutter grinder and all four flutes were sharp again, I must remember to use it more often  :) Then an initial file:

Using a mandrel to fit the pivot hole first the shallow side was taken to 1.2mm depth:

Then the second side, which needed much more taken off as that is the side that had the step on it and the final thickness is 2.4mm:

Filing the curve on the end is easily done as long as you can see what you are doing. I usually mark the work using a marker pen:

Then file flats on the corners

and then next top corners;

The push rod end has a strange angle on it which made me think. In the end I used a diamond file to round the ends on an old end mill and then milled the offending corners away:

A bit of a polish, then off to the hot spot to be heated to read hot and dunked in Kasinite for 10 minutes :mischief: A bit more polishing needed..

See if it fits:

So Kiwi's was the warm up act. Kitti's:

:thinking: Is going to take a bit more thinking about.

Jo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:16:52 PM by Jo »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »
Got some of those to make myself!    I'll get to them.....

Looking great Jo!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tjark

• Woldendorp, Netherlands
« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
Jo this is a very nice way to make the rockers.
I did not think of the way you have made them.
A lot easier then I have done, I did make the inside off the rockers on the mill with two small ball mils.
One with a radius off 1,25mm and one with a radius off 2mm.
And I have still not finest them.

Tjark.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »
Thanks Dave,

Tjark, I had been thinking about the machining for a while (I should admit that I mistakenly milled on with the push rod socket with that 3.2mm step  :Doh: but as I had only reamed the centre hole I decided best start again  ;) )

I think I have worked out how to make Kitti's rockers :) I will just need to see if I have some brown stuff of my metal with the special brown protective coating to make them out of  :naughty:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »
I think that these pieces of my metal with the brown :naughty: protective coating might do the job for the rockers.

I just have to work out how to find them in there  :noidea:

Jo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal