Author Topic: Stuart 1/2 horsepower  (Read 4973 times)

Offline RayW

Stuart 1/2 horsepower
« on: February 13, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »
I thought members might be interested in the attached pictures of my Stuart 1/2 horsepower open crank engine, even though it is technically a full size working engine rather than a model. It was found by a friend on a shelf in a barn where it had rested, covered in cobwebs, dust and straw, for many years, having originally been discovered in a water mill in Ireland. Originally supplied either as a kit of castings, or in part machined form, this one had only been partially completed as the water jacket connections were unmachined or drilled as was the exhaust port. To give an idea of scale, the flywheel is 12" diameter. During the course of restoration the engine suffered a broken crankshaft and main bearing cap. As I had no machining facilities at that time, new parts were made for me by kind friends and relatives.
Ray

Online EASy

Re: Stuart 1/2 horsepower
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
Very nice indeed, thank you for sharing the photos.  I recall reading the article in the Stationary Engine Magazine regarding the restoration of this one some years ago.

I have one, complete and running, but I've cobbled together a 'flicking finger' arrangement for the points. I've seen a few pictures of engines with a points arrangement such as yours but have failed to replicate it - do you have any photos of yours?

The 'top hat' gas valve arrangement of mine took some time to get to function!

Regards,

Andrew

Offline RayW

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:23:29 PM »
Hi Andrew.
Well recognised! This is indeed the same engine featured in Stationary Engine some years ago. The points system on my engine is a simple brass strip that pivots on a block of insulating material to isolate it from the engine. The pivot pin is a steel bolt countersunk into the back of the block to avoid shorting against the body of the engine.The brass strip is held in position by a knurled nut. The other contact is simply a bolt through the  gearwheel. The contact area of the brass strip is twisted slightly so that the end of the bolt brushes it as the gear rotates, rather than hitting the edge of the strip.Timing is adjusted simply by pivoting the brass strip up or down as required. All rather crude but effective. Unfortunately, I don't have any sharper photos than this at the moment but I hope that helps. Ignition is by battery and trembler coil.
Ray

Online EASy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »
Hi Andrew.
Well recognised! This is indeed the same engine featured in Stationary Engine some years ago. The points system on my engine is a simple brass strip that pivots on a block of insulating material to isolate it from the engine. The pivot pin is a steel bolt countersunk into the back of the block to avoid shorting against the body of the engine.The brass strip is held in position by a knurled nut. The other contact is simply a bolt through the  gearwheel. The contact area of the brass strip is twisted slightly so that the end of the bolt brushes it as the gear rotates, rather than hitting the edge of the strip.Timing is adjusted simply by pivoting the brass strip up or down as required. All rather crude but effective. Unfortunately, I don't have any sharper photos than this at the moment but I hope that helps. Ignition is by battery and trembler coil.

Thank you very much for your reply - I appreciate your description of the points arrangement and will endeavour to make something similar. My cobbled together attempt is a little "hit and miss"!

Many thanks.

Regards,

Andrew

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Nice job of restoration Ray and I bet it was an enjoyable project. You wouldn't by chance have a video?

Don

Offline RayW

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
Hi Don,

I don't have any decent video at the moment but as soon as the weather warms up a bit, I will get the engine out of the shed and get it running then post a video on You Tube.
I was really lucky to get the engine in the first place as the friend who found it had only just got into stationary engines and couldn't afford to buy it so asked me if I would be interested. Knowing how desirable these fractional horsepower engines are, I made an offer, sight unseen, and within 24 hours I was the proud owner.
As I mentioned, there were a couple of traumas along the way, the worst of which was that the crankshaft broke in half right next to one of the webs as I was gently tapping it out of the flywheel. On examination it became evident that there was a small casting flaw just where it had broken.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:45:33 PM by RayW »
Ray

Offline RayW

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
Well, I got there eventually, only 18 months or so after I promised Don that I would post a video of the Stuart on YouTube. It has been unbearably hot in the workshop for the last few days, so decided it was a good day to drag it out of the garage and give it a run.
Oh boy, I had forgotten just how heavy even a small engine like this can be, but eventually managed to get it set up on the lawn for a photoshoot. To my amazement, it fired on just the second spin and away it went.
The YouTube link is:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TohkJZY5-G0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TohkJZY5-G0</a>
Ray

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 11:54:33 PM »
What a beauty Ray, but yes, quite a beast too. It sure does run sweet though and a great video.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:15:40 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 07:48:02 AM »
Nice :)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 11:34:14 PM »
Awesome Ray she sure runs a treat bud........ :praise2:

Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »
Hi Ray, a very nice engine and a smooth runner.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 01:07:06 AM »
Beautiful engine Ray!

Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Offline RayW

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Some years ago, my dentist, who was just developing an interest in stationary engines, and who had a good sense of humour, told my wife, who is not an engine enthusiast, that he had a special treat in store for her. When she laid back in the dentists chair, there on the ceiling above her, amongst other photos, was my Stuart! You can imagine her joy!!!
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal