Author Topic: GWR Pannier Tank Engine  (Read 4183 times)

Offline mikemill

GWR Pannier Tank Engine
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
Recently completed scratch built Gauge1 GWR Pannier Tank engine, no self respecting GWR man would be content without a model of these well loved engines. Introduced in the late 19th century these workhorses could be found all over the system in several variations until the end of steam in the 1960’s.
I chose an early version with an open cab as I prefer the Dean, Armstrong era rather than later designs. The chassis has axels running in miniature ball bearings housed in sprung horn blocks and working inside motion,  the tank is powered by 10 rechargeable AA cells that sit in the boiler / tank space and is radio controlled with rx and esc below a plate that holds the on/off switch and recharge socket in the bunker.  With restricted firebox space and  wanting to have a visible detailed backhead,  I found a motor on eBay with a reduction gearbox that just fitted and by using four bevel gears I got a drive shaft to reach under the cab to drive the back wheels, this arrangement gives a good speed range from a slow crawl to a trot.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:47:30 PM by mikemill »

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
Re: GWR Pannier Tank Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
Mike

That is a really fine looking engine. :praise2:      Please post some pictures of the backhead and other cab details.

Cheers, Joe

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:41 PM »
Very nice Mike and excellent photographs too!!!

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:05:36 PM »
Very nice workmanship Mike and and superbly presented. Great paint job too  :ThumbsUp:

Congratulations on an really excellent result

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:20:10 PM »
That's great Mike, but I wonder if the crew preferred the open cab?

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline bouch

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:02:37 PM »
Recently completed scratch built Gauge1 GWR Pannier Tank engine, no self respecting GWR man would be content without a model of these well loved engines. Introduced in the late 19th century these workhorses could be found all over the system in several variations until the end of steam in the 1960’s.
I chose an early version with an open cab as I prefer the Dean, Armstrong era rather than later designs. The chassis has axels running in miniature ball bearings housed in sprung horn blocks and working inside motion,  the tank is powered by 10 rechargeable AA cells that sit in the boiler / tank space and is radio controlled with rx and esc below a plate that holds the on/off switch and recharge socket in the bunker.  With restricted firebox space and  wanting to have a visible detailed backhead,  I found a motor on eBay with a reduction gearbox that just fitted and by using four bevel gears I got a drive shaft to reach under the cab to drive the back wheels, this arrangement gives a good speed range from a slow crawl to a trot.
Mike

Wondering what scale/gauge it is.   Guessing Gauge 1 as that would be big enough to hold all those batteries, but I honestly can't tell from the photos...

Offline mikemill

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments.

bouch
The engine is Gauge1, as in the first line of the description.

I am always surprised by the satisfaction one gets from a completed project, which after all is one of the reasons why we pursue this fascinating hobby.

Mike

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:23:24 PM »
For me, the end of the build is less one of satisfaction as it is depression that it's over.  Probably the reason none of mine are ever finished.   :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal