Author Topic: Buzz Saw  (Read 24385 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Buzz Saw
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
There we have it with 1" diameter log. Carriage swung out to receive log and carriage swung fully in to cut position. All I have left to build is the "swing limiter strap". I ordered a new fine toothed blade this morning.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 07:24:59 PM »
Your wife is going to wonder where all her brooms have gone  :) Still following along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »
I'm finished!!!  The bar which limits the amount of "swing out" of the log carriage is finished and installed. Now I have to be honest with you---I've built a lot of models of many different things in the last five years. This, however, is the only model I have built that actually frightens me a bit.  The original buzz saws, were horribly dangerous. People worked with them every day, and let me tell you---You had to be VERY aware of where that saw blade was and where your hands were at all times. It was unusual, but grizzly accidents did occasionally happen with them. ------------And this little saw is no different!!! I own a skill saw, a sabre saw, a chainsaw, a table saw, and a bandsaw.--I am very aware of the safety requirements when using them, and fortunately I still have all of my fingers. I will put a new fine tooth blade on this model saw, will power it up long enough to make a video of it working, and then will sigh with relief when it goes up 'on the shelf" with all my other models!!!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »
On the shelf Brian? It's too useful to go there. Hugh.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 08:26:48 AM »
I'm sure you are itching to design a swing back blade guard for it Brian ;)

The fine blade will also have less of a tendancy to snatch as at the start and end of the cut with that existing blade at best you only have one tooth in contact and a big gullet that will want to dig in.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
If I have done this correctly, this link should get you a download of all the drawings.---Brian
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qaq9xdu4i1cqcsq/MODEL_BUZZ_SAW.zip

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »
The "broom tree" I showed was actually a piece of 1" diameter wooden dowel from the lumberyard. They said that it was kiln dried poplar, but it seems to be harder than any poplar that I have experience with. I tried to buy a 1" softwood (pine or spruce) dowel, but wouldn't you know it, they don't carry softwood dowel!! Not to be outdone by adversity, I grabbed a couple of short pieces of spruce from my "wood scrap pile" (yes, I have one of them to) and made my own 1" softwood dowels. This yielded a nice little pile of 'cord-wood" to try out with my buzz saw when the new blade arrives.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:54 AM »
Now THAT my friends, looks like a buzz saw blade!!! 44 teeth and only .028" thick. With any luck, tomorrow will see a buzz saw party!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »
And this my friends, is the end. I had a hard time to find an engine that would run the saw without bogging down in the middle of the cut, but finally used one of my faithful old hit and miss engines. This lends even a bit more authenticity to the video, because the hit and miss engine was the engine of choice for many buzz saws.  I probably won't use this saw again, because it is amazingly dangerous, just as it's full size ancestors were. It does work, and does indeed cut the logs, albeit more slowly than the full sized buzz saws with much more powerful engines did. If you build one of these, beware--they don't know the difference between a finger and a log, and will happily saw through either!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiX6ESTaV8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiX6ESTaV8</a>

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
 :jumpingsmileys:
Nice finish, Brian. And still got all five on that hand  :)

Offline Greg Haisley

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
I'm guessing your next project will be a scaled down fireplace to burn your sawed split wood.

Beautiful job Brian.  :ThumbsUp:
Cheers,
Greg Haisley

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »
Thank you, fellows. That will be my last firewood related model. i am pleased how it turned out, and already I know of at least one person who is building the model for a working diorama.--His "sawblade" however will be a piece of round aluminum with smoothed edges and no teeth.---a much safer proposition.---Brian

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
Very nice demonstration  :praise2:  :praise2: You can really hear the engine picking up the load  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: To save me (and possibly others) searching what's the bore and stroke of your hit and miss?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
Nice job Brian! Now you just need the little shed to display the saw mill, buzz saw, & splitter in.

Now you need some model metalworking machines...  :stickpoke:

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal