Author Topic: BUILDING THE EASTERN & ANDERSON GRASSHOPPER  (Read 109466 times)

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: BUILDING THE EASTERN & ANDERSON GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 01:23:41 AM »
Hi Don

Man that is some nice work; I was wondering what the extra material was for on the ends of the top plate now I see why.

So what is the draft angle of the sides on that base casting?   ;)

Have a good trip,
Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 05:51:58 AM »
Hi Don, very nice. I have to learn this "making a cutter".
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 07:00:38 AM »
Really nice looking Don!  Great fabrication work on your base.
Kim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 07:44:18 AM »
Looking good Don, the over run won't be covered but a simpler fix may be to just widen the slot as there is nothing sitting on that side of the base.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »
It looks like a one piece object from here. Great job. I think Jason is probably right, but I can see you silver soldering a piece the same size as the cutter in place, then redoing that corner.  Another .001 off the top, no-one's the wiser.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »
Nice job on the tapered cutter base looks nice!
I'm still watching ;)

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »
Very nice work on the base Don. If the little notch is noticeable just take a piece of round stock and cut a disc from it to match the diameter of the cutter then just soft solder it in place. I hate having to silver solder a part after all the machining is done. (too much cleanup).
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
Very nice, Don!  :popcorn:

Simon

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 06:53:13 PM »
Nice work Don  :ThumbsUp:, done that a few times in my time though so swear by setting table stops to prevent it  ;) - as everyone agrees though you have several options to disguising it.

Apart from that it's a nice clean up from a silver soldered build up - shades of what's to come I'll wager.

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »
Thanks guys for your input and following along.

Looking good Don, the over run won't be covered but a simpler fix may be to just widen the slot as there is nothing sitting on that side of the base.
Thanks Jason and glad to have you watching me. I will put it aside for now and as the pieces start to come together I will see how this effects things.
Hi Don

Man that is some nice work; I was wondering what the extra material was for on the ends of the top plate now I see why.

So what is the draft angle of the sides on that base casting?   ;)

Have a good trip,
Dave
Dave thanks for following, the angle is about 10 degrees.
Very nice work on the base Don. If the little notch is noticeable just take a piece of round stock and cut a disc from it to match the diameter of the cutter then just soft solder it in place. I hate having to silver solder a part after all the machining is done. (too much cleanup).
gbritnell
George thanks I will surely do it if it comes to that and glad to have you following.
Nice work Don  :ThumbsUp:, done that a few times in my time though so swear by setting table stops to prevent it  ;) - as everyone agrees though you have several options to disguising it.

Apart from that it's a nice clean up from a silver soldered build up - shades of what's to come I'll wager.

Regards - Ramon
Thanks Ramon my next tool makes will be stops for my mill. And yes there is plenty of soldering to come. Silver soldering use to scare me but once you get the feel of it, you know when hot is hot enough. I usually watch the paste when it looks wet it is hot enough.

thanks Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »
Its coming along  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 02:06:41 AM »
Hi Jo, a belated thanks. Today I started working on the engine foundation. I had already started yesterday and had the glue setting. I decided to use mahogany for the foundation. After cutting the sides and cutting the miters and gluing I routered the sides. In the process I managed to make the plinth and it's setting up in clamps glued together tonight. So we have a few photos for you.

Just a few shots of the foundation frame in clamps.

Getting ready to trim the sides on the router.

This is the pattern I selected.

That's all for now and thanks for following along and looking.

Don
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:14:38 AM by Don1966 »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
Nice detail work on that Don. It should finish up beautifully and be a fitting base for this fine engine!!

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
Hi Don, good to see your wood work and also the wood milling machine. I didn't know, that German wood milling machines from Bosch have  found their way to LA also.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:11:33 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »
Bill and Achim thanks for following.
Nice detail work on that Don. It should finish up beautifully and be a fitting base for this fine engine!!

Bill
Bill I don't think you can do much to mess up mahogany. It finishes very nice. By the way I been multitasking since I am in the brown stuff. I started making the plane shelf.

Hi Don, good to see your wood work and also the wood milling machine. I didn't now, that German wood milling machines from Bosch have  found their way to LA also.
Achim I find Bosch to be a very excellent tool. My younger brother is the wood expert in the family. I try to get tips from him.

Ok some more progress on the brown stuff. I managed to complete the foundation and put a first coat of clear semi gloss polyurethane on it. Then finished the plinth to the point where I will start working on the crankshaft pillar bearings. I did a test run with some non sand white grout to see how fast it cures and how workable it is at different time stages. Then I am going to test how it takes stains.

This is the foundation with all the wood work done.

The foundation after applying a coat of polyurethane.

The plinth after mounting the base an marking out where the bearing block will rest. The final setup for the bearing block will be after making the first bearing block to mount to the base. Then I will do alignment to the outer bearing block.

Testing the grout on a postal box. I may have to do more then one test to get it right. This will be my first attempt at this.

That's all for today and thanks for looking.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal