Author Topic: BUILDING THE EASTERN & ANDERSON GRASSHOPPER  (Read 110754 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: BUILDING THE EASTERN & ANDERSON GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 12:18:27 AM »
The foundation is beautiful Don. Are you using clear urethane or a stain/urethane combination. Hard to imagine the mahogany darkening up that much with just clear, but its not a wood I have worked with much at all. Where will the grout be used?

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 02:08:49 AM »
Hi Bill, and you are right mahogany is not that dark with clear urethane. The darkness comes from using walnut stain. The grout I plan to use on the plinth to make it look like stone or brick, haven't decided yet still testing it to see how it handles and adheres to the wood once dried.

Don

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 04:50:50 AM »
Hi Don
WOW that Box came up great!
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »
Don, I find mixing in some wood glue helps the bond and also gives the dried layer a bit of flexibility. Is it tile grout you are using as I know you have a few different names for things out there, I tend to use drywall filler or spackle will also work and both are softer than tiled grou so easier to work.

J

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 04:55:20 PM »
Pete thanks buddy for looking in.

Don, I find mixing in some wood glue helps the bond and also gives the dried layer a bit of flexibility. Is it tile grout you are using as I know you have a few different names for things out there, I tend to use drywall filler or spackle will also work and both are softer than tiled grou so easier to work.

J
Jason thanks for the tip and checking on me. The grout is tile grout and it works and gives ample time to manipulate it. I am trying it out with glue mixed in to see how that works. The grout do resemble drywall compound. I be trying dabbing a brush end on it to see if it looks more like cement blocks and it does. What would you suggest color wish  to blend with the brass. I am thinking of leaving it white but maybe a highlight of dark brown stain brushed in spot.

Don
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:59:11 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »
I tend to paint mine with an off white acrylic paint which seals the paster. Then apply washes over the top of that to get a bit of colour variation and it also sits in the joints and makes them more visible. For the was I put a touch of oil paint into some turpentine.

Jo should hopefully be showing us her bricklaying and flag laying skills shortly :lolb:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 07:35:12 PM »
Hmmmmmm, part sparky, part termite,  part machinist,  got to be a coonass  :lolb: :lolb:. The base looks sweet dog. Mahogany and I both look really good on a big boat  :lolb: Granddaddy used to hand rub it with warm linseed oil.  If you are using tile grout, you can get it in little milk carton looking containers,  in a multitude of hues,  at Lowe's or Home Depot.  They also make cement tinting powders that blend pretty good with the grout. . Keep it swinging dog,

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
Hey Dog glad your looking in.

I tend to paint mine with an off white acrylic paint which seals the paster. Then apply washes over the top of that to get a bit of colour variation and it also sits in the joints and makes them more visible. For the was I put a touch of oil paint into some turpentine.

Jo should hopefully be showing us her bricklaying and flag laying skills shortly :lolb:
Thanks Jason,I tried some reefer White with a bit of black mixed with paint thinner for the wash. It gave it a grayish hue. Keep in mind this is free hand and a test run.
What do you think?

Don

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
Great looking bricks Don the grout looks about the right colour.  :ThumbsUp:

When I was a kid in the UK I don't ever remember seeing bricks any colour other than a reddish brown with a smooth finish, not the plethora of colours and textures available today.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 11:52:44 PM »
OK,  so know I have to add stone mason  :lolb:. The brick work is great,  mixed length,  with nearly perfect vertical joints  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. I'm kinda with Bob though, I  think a dark brick would fit the mahogany,  do the contrasting with brass  :stir:

E

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2015, 12:03:33 AM »
Well I think it looks good Don. The texture looks great...the color choice is ultimately up to you and what pleases your eye. I can see grayish looking good with the mahogany too though especially if you want it to look more stone like.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2015, 07:43:31 AM »
Can't see a lot wrong with that :ThumbsUp:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 12:54:54 PM »
This whole build looks awesome to me!   :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
Hi Don, l like your brick work fake. Something I have to learn also.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
Thanks guys for your inputs I really appreciate it. I don't expect you to hold any punches because I want to get this right. I tryed another color scheme today and did the mud work on the plinth. I am still uncertain as to what color scheme to stick to. I need to make the brass stand out and not have the plinth work distract from that.

This is my second attempt to get a color pattern I can use. White with a brown color mixed with wash.

Muddling the plinth and it's like putting iceing on a cake.

Then 30 minutes later I used a brush and dabbed the bristle end into the grout and to give the stone look.

Marked out the brick pattern after two hours of curing time. Trimmed and brushed to finish.

Thanks for looking.
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal