Author Topic: Model Woodsplitter  (Read 27705 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Model Woodsplitter
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
That went well!! The gear is cut, and I didn't end up with any "half teeth". Both ends have the keyways cut, although it's a bit hard to see in the picture. It mates very well with the rack---(I tried it as soon as it came off the mill.). At the last minute, when I was making the shaft this morning, I decided to make the shaft 3/4" longer on one end, just in case I have to mount a pulley instead of running my drive belt to one of the flywheels.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
Now that I have reassembled everything, I can actually try it out. If I spin the flywheels by hand, feed the rack in from the back end, and immediately move the lever into the "extend" position, it grabs the rack and spits it out the front side like a lightning bolt!!:eek::eek: It doesn't seem to do any "grinding" of the gear teeth at all, as near as I can tell. This is good news, so far.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 06:54:47 PM »
We have an all bronze slider finished. Holy Cow---There are only a couple of pieces left to make!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2015, 01:16:27 AM »
Check this out. This is just too cool!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXLX0TC0YFY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXLX0TC0YFY</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2015, 01:23:47 AM »
Before anybody points it out---The "pusher plate" will not extend far enough to run into the splitting wedge when I get everything finished and in place. It will stop about 3/8" from the splitter plate.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2015, 03:40:14 AM »
Hi Brian,
 That's looking cool! Bet all the miniature trees in the world are shaking there roots  :ROFL:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »

Hi Brian,
 That's looking cool! Bet all the miniature trees in the world are shaking there roots  :ROFL:

Cheers Kerrin

...and all the miniature fireplaces and stoves are drooling with anticipation...

Hugh.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »
After giving this some though, I have decided that this lovely little machine would chop fingers just as easily as it will chop wood. The "logs" are round and will have a tendency to roll off the splitter before they get split, and I don't want my fingers grabbing for a log trying to straighten it out and "whoops"--there goes the tip of my finger!!! To that effect, I have designed a set of log racks that will keep the log from falling off the splitter before it gets pushed through the splitter wedge.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 05:26:48 PM »
The wood splitter is finished!! The log racks that keep the piece of wood from falling off before it gets split got a little simpler. The dual springs which return the rack to it's home position were scrapped in favour of a single tension spring that returns the rack. Now all I have to do is hook it up to one of my engines and see if it really splits wood.

Offline Perry

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »
Wow looking forward seeing the beast splitting the wood

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »
I want to see what happens when you drop an (unshelled) macadamia nut in there.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:19 PM »
Here ya go boys and girls. This is fun!!! I hope you enjoy the pictures of my old bald head while I am picking up wood off the floor. If anybody wants a complete set of drawings, email me at brupnow@rogers.com.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts60HeWkKg8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts60HeWkKg8</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
Marv--Not without my suit of armour!!!

Offline Perry

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: Soooo entertaining and works exeptionaly weell
Thanks for sharing with us :)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2015, 10:23:40 PM »
Luc--Since you mentioned o-rings in an earlier post, I thought I would post this for you. This is one of the few times that I didn't use an o-ring to drive one of my "creations".---Not because I couldn't have, but because I didn't want to cut a v-groove in the face of one of my flywheels. This "rubberish" flat belt drive with the corrugated inner surface is 5/8" wide x .093" thick, and grips like a tiger on a flat pulley. There is a vacuum cleaner repair place not too far from where I live, and occasionally I go down and root around through their scrap bin to see what goodies I can salvage. That is the origin of this flat belt. Surprisingly, their isn't much feed-back from the splitter to the engine when I split a piece of wood. The engine doesn't even falter. The inertia of the two steel flywheels on the splitter is doing all of the work. Probably an o-ring would have worked fine, but it would have been difficult to keep on the flat pulley.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal