Author Topic: Hall sensor  (Read 3263 times)

Offline GordonL

Hall sensor
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »
I have been working on transistor ignition system. I have found enough information on the circuit but I am still confused about the Hall sensor. The basic system is pretty easy to build. I have purchased transistor systems several times and they come with a sensor but no indication of the specification on the sensor. I have looked for further discussion on this but I just get more confused. I am not an electronic expert and do not have any background in that area.  Many of the discussion are way beyond my understanding and end up pointing to pages of specifications which mean nothing to me.

I can look on eBay or Amazon and sensors seem to be $1 to $10 and seem to be as small as a grain of rice to 1/2". What should I be looking for? If a $1 unit will work there is no reason to buy the $10 unit but burning up ten $1 units is not a good idea either.

Gordon

Offline CHP

• cheers
Re: Hall sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »
anyone should work just fine as long as you respect
the voltage of it but you want a Hall switch check this video
simple straight forward

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFdGtvo9JE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFdGtvo9JE</a>

cheers
Luc
12x36 lathe,Seig7x10 lathe, Taig lathe
9x29 Mill, Emco 55 CNC mill.......

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
Gordon,
I have been using Honeywell SS441R hall effect sensors.  I selected them as they have a convenient size and have a good flux sensitivity.  This means that the magnet positioning is not too sensitive and I can use small magnets.  I normally use 1/8 diameter X 1/8 long N42 material magnets mounted in brass flywheel rims and can have up to about 3/32 spacing although I normally set the magnet spacing to about 0.050 inch.

They are fairly inexpensive, less than US$ 1.00 each in lots of 10 and many industrial distributors carry them.  I get mine from Mouser.  Here is a link to the part on their site and you can down load the specs from a link on that page.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/SS441R/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvhQj7WZhFIAErb0%2fvL6mPbPwogfGCKMso%3d

I have used about 15 of them with S/S CDI ignitions on engines.  I have only burned up one and that is because my engine frame ground came loose and the spark used the Hall effect pickup as the HV ground by sparking to it. No Hall pickup will survive that!

Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
Thanks. That is the information I have been looking for.

Recently I have been going back to engines I have built in the past and refining them. I have a tendency to build an engine, get it to run and then move on to the next project. Recently I have been taking past engines and improving the carburetor (C Fellows) and I am now moving on to ignition. This is partly to get a better running engine and partly to get an engine someone else can use. I have been using an ignition box consisting of a 6 volt gel battery, and automotive coil and condenser. I can move this box from engine to engine but as I get older I realize that at some point either my kids or me will want to sell or dispose of these engines so I am looking for a permanent system for each engine. Transistor ignition systems can be pretty inexpensive if you build your own. In the past I have used complete ignition system from S/S and others but these are more expensive. So I am just playing around and experimenting at this point.

Gordon

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:23:15 PM »
Hi Guys,
FWIW You can salvage hall switches from fans and various similar motors.  I get mine from old computer case and heatsink fans,
though the heatsink fans can be a bit tricky because they are so small.

Best Regards:  Baron.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal