Author Topic: Minnie 1" Scale Traction Engine - 1 year into build!  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Inky Engines

• NE Derbyshire, UK
Minnie 1" Scale Traction Engine - 1 year into build!
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
Its been a while since Inky Engines posted a new build. After building a third of Elmer Verburg's 48 engines over 2 years I made the decision to try my hand at the 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine as described by L C Mason.

Progress has been slow for a number of reasons, not least the enormity of the project in comparison with most of Elmer's engines. To date the engine has been built from sheet and bar stock with the exception of some of the shaft bearings that were machined from castings.

Unusually perhaps, I chose to start the build with a rear wheel spending many hours machining and fitting spokes and strakes! I then progressed to the rear axle and its winding drum, final drive gear and brake drum. Hooked, then I built the second rear wheel! Only then did I move on to the boiler (typically the starting point). With the boiler complete with the exception of the steam block and foundation ring (and pressure test!) I ran short of silver solder and propane - not wanting to find myself out of these essentials for the foundation ring I temporarily shifted my attention to connecting the boiler to the rear wheels! This became the obsession, and because each shaft is marked off from its predecessor this involves machining and fitting not only the horn plates but all the remaining shafts, gears and bearings!

And that, with the exception of a little work on the fire hole door and the front end is the state of play at the end of the first year.

The build is largely typical of others previously described. I got hold of steel tube just right for the rear rims but didn't fancy cutting the internal recess - the rims were therefore machined with the outer recesses, cut in two and silver soldered back together with the outer recess now inside. I form cut the gears from a combination of cast iron and mild steel, but used only 2 of the 6 involute gear cutters suggested to cover the range of gears in this project - the gears seem to run fine and a substantial cost saving is made. Also of note are the internal keyways that Mason describes as a two part silver soldered unit that avoids having to plane or broach on the lath or otherwise - I also used the method with success on the flywheel.

I've attached a You Tube video with a compilation of still and video images showing the build - as always I would appreciate any comment or advice.

In conclusion I would like to thank all those who have previously built and shared this fine model. In particular, I would thank 'my mentor' Jasonb - I have never met or corresponded in any way with Jason, but his help and advice to others has proved invaluable.

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

[youtube1]http://youtu.be/TslohHDgs3k[/youtube1]

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: Minnie 1" Scale Traction Engine - 1 year into build!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
Geoff, that's a lot of progress for a year.  Keep it up.

Vince

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:56:18 AM »
Great work Geoff! What a year you've had, it all looks good, but a special mention for the wheels. I look forward to regular updates. cheers, Hugh.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »
Looking very good and a nicely soldered boiler. Keep up the good work.

J

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »
That looks amazing, Geoff. Seems like you've done all the hard parts!

Simon

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »
That looks fantastic Geoff and one that is on my list of many.

Don

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
That's some magnificent work  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:10:23 PM »
Geoff, that is really coming along well!!  Thanks for sharing the nice video of the work so far.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal