Author Topic: "507 Mechanical Movements" No 328 Cartwright's Parallel Motion  (Read 7039 times)

Offline philjoe5

Re: "507 Mechanical Movements" No 328 Cartwright's Parallel Motion
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
Who would have thought there were so many variations and methods

Everytime I go through that book I think about how each movement had its advantages and disadvantages over previous ones.  I guess we'd call them "upgrades" or "parallel motion Ver. 2.1" today.

Ian, I recall reading something about the rhombic drive Stirling but I don't recall if it was a gear driven mechanism?

That's a neat reference Paul.  Now I have some additional good reading material :happyreader:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 11:05:05 PM »
Outstanding!! I've been looking through the book for a few years but, until I got the 3D printer and did the reciprocating rack,  hadn't thought to actually make one.
I like the metal better than the ABS.
Best,
Stan

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:08 PM »
Thanks Stan.  I think I want to do that reciprocating rack you made with the 3D printer.  I made a few wonky gears I wouldn't mind "mutilating" (Henry Brown's term for partial gears). :ROFL:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal