Author Topic: "507 Mechanical Movements" No 328 Cartwright's Parallel Motion  (Read 7041 times)

Offline philjoe5

"507 Mechanical Movements" No 328 Cartwright's Parallel Motion
« on: January 14, 2015, 02:54:07 PM »
When I was learning how to cut spur gears a while ago I made a few that were “serviceable” but they weren’t as good as I wanted.  I set them aside for some light duty applications.  Recently I decided to take a break from the IC engine I’m building.  I turned to Henry Brown’s book “507 Mechanical Movements” first published in 1868 for ideas. 

When I saw Cartwright’s (patented 1787) mechanism for parallel motion (#328 in my edition of Brown’s book) that seemed like a good candidate for using some of those gears I had set aside.

My version is slightly modified from the design shown in Brown’s book.

The gears are bronze, the reciprocating shaft is brass, all the other parts are aluminum except the 60T gear bearings which are steel.

Here are the components:

And now assembled:

I have several air operated “steam” engines that I built during my “apprenticeship” and I’m using one of them to power the mechanism.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wpDA5ZSSI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wpDA5ZSSI</a>

This is the beginning of a long term project to make a number of mechanical movements.  I’m introducing folks to mechanical movements in our local Makers Group.  Eventually, our work space will be equipped with a small machine shop.

I don’t have access to a good library and would like to know more about Dr. Cartwright and his patented design.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Google Patents and Books keep returning the same very short description found in Brown’s book. 

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: "507 Mechanical Movements" No 328 Cartwright's Parallel Motion
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
That turned out very well Phil. I can hear the questions now though...not so much from your local makers group, but from those not use to seeing mechanical things as much..."So what does it do???"   :ROFL:

BIll

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »
Nicely made  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: This mechanism is (was) used in the Phillips Stirling engine under the name of 'Rhombic drive' (according to 'Stirling Cycle Engines' by Andy Ross. There were two sets of links, one above the gears and one below. One set worked the displacer the other were connected to the working piston.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »
Very nice---Well done!!! I have that 507 mechanical movements book, and it is great. I have built a couple of the nifty movements it shows. I recently bought the book "1800 Mechanical Movements", but I am very dissapointed with it and would not recommend it to anyone.---Brian,

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys:

"So what does it do???"

Bill, I've gotten that question many times at engine shows.  If I'm feeling particularly nasty I might respond with "it's a device that determines if someone has an active imagination" :naughty:

Thanks for that info Roger.  That gives me a good lead to follow.

Brian, I remember you posting one or more of those movements in the past.  Any chance you can point me to them?  I don't recall if they were posted here or the other site.  Your gear pump is my next side project.  That seems a good project to challenge close tolerances in a build.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »
Phil--I'm into some heavy duty business marketing right now, but I will try to chase them down later today.---Brian
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=15674&highlight=clockwork
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=2466.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:29:28 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:42 AM »
Phil, that is such a cool idea!

I recently got this book, too, and should point out that since it is old it is freely available.  Search and you'll find pdfs of the full book. There is also http://507movements.com which includes all the drawings and animations for a few of them.  I found the animations very valuable, but there are precious few.  Actual built mechanisms would be far better!

It turns out that 328 has an animation: http://507movements.com/mm_328.html

Todd

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 03:35:56 AM »
Cool PHIL, but what does it do?  :lolb: nice bit of work buddy.

Don

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:35 AM »
Thanks Brian.  I may do one of those too. :ThumbsUp:

Todd, yep I found the animated site for "507 Mechanical Movements" to be very helpful.

Thanks Don.  In answer to your question - "It keeps me in the basement workshop so that SWMBO and I can go another 43 years.  Otherwise  :stickpoke:  :stickpoke:

Cheers,
Phil

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: &quot;507 Mechanical Movements&quot; No 328 Cartwright's Parallel Motion
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 04:10:41 AM »
A most gymnastic device, well done. Cheers, Hugh.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 04:18:02 AM »
Thanks Hugh.  There was a time when I might be able to mimic this motion in the gym, but sadly those days are long gone :'(

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
That publication is a scream to peruse……. Who would have thought there were so many variations and methods by which to convert or otherwise produce such movements. Quite entertaining……..  :cheers: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: &quot;507 Mechanical Movements&quot; No 328 Cartwright's Parallel Motion
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
You won't have time for the gym Phil, you've got another 506 to go! Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »
My project at the moment is a rhombic drive Stirling Engine, and that is half the action of the rhombic Stirling as has been stated by RogerB.
                                                   Ian S C

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »
Some time ago I found an on-line version of "Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices" by Sclater on Scribd, but it has been removed (probably copyright violation). It is available for about $50 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Mechanisms-Mechanical-Devices-Sourcebook-Edition/dp/0071704426

But on a search for those terms I found something else (or perhaps the same thing, as it references the author of the above-mentioned work) that is quite interesting. It seems to be largely targeted at robotics but has many different electro-mechanical devices with rather detailed descriptions:

This is just an example:

This might be similar to the rhombic gear drive:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal