Author Topic: Well done, NASA  (Read 18817 times)

Offline Farmboy

• England
Re: Well done, NASA
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »
Excuse me for being thick but what purpose has been served by going to Mars? A lot of talented people have worked on this project, I would have thought they could have found something here on earth to do before they bugger another planet up. Just my thoughts Keith.

We must continue to explore, it's a part of being human. There is always something else that could have been done instead, but why not do that as well!

I'm sure many people wonder what purpose is served by making model engines, with all these highly talented people wasting their time when they could be doing something useful  ;) . . . . now where did I put that flak jacket?

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:39 PM »
There may have been little point in climbing Everest or going to the south pole in the last century. However these pointless endeavours required engineering and logistics on a scale never needed before. Now such trips are commonplace as extreme tourism capers. These serve a less useful purpose and, in the case of the mountain, there are commonly a couple of dozen teams in action, leaving litter in their wake.

This is the result of repeatability, surely the prime goal of any engineer. There were many disasters along the way both on Earth and in space and one of the overriding needs is safety, as the cost is even greater than any life (that may sound callous and contentious, but is nonetheless true).

The British Beagle2 expedition ended in a butterfingers moment when contact was lost on the home stretch. No doubt lessons for NASA were learned.

"Curiosity" is the pinnacle of engineering in space exploration so far. It will be the most completely documented mission to date, as every mission suggests a new feature for the next time.

To say that it is a waste of resources shows a lack of adventure and romance.

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »
I agree that if the human race is to survive long term then it has to leave Earth, but I feel there has also been a short term benefit besides the obvious economic ones.
In a time where depression and disillusionment are the norm, people out there are still achieving great things, History has been made and somehow just a little bit of hope has been returned to us/me.
What pleased me less was my eight year old daughter came home from school a few minutes before the landing with no knowledge of the upcoming attempt.
As we watched the landing together I had to wonder at the quality of her teachers and just what they were doing all day!
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 03:36:59 AM »
Couldn't agree more Pete!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »
I also wonder at what is the need for what passes for education nowdays. I vividly remember when the Russians put up the sputnik and our teacher telling us to watch the evening sky for it and explaining  where to see it and why it was sent up.Then the fascinating space race culminating with a landing on the moon by the US. I was watching it in townsville while filling the car and the servo had a tv for all to watch. Then the start of the shuttle program with its disasters and the highs and the things learnt then. expensive yes but a waste?? not on your Nellie
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »
Compare the money spent on the engineering and scientific effort with the money wasted on the Olympics and there is no contest (IMHO).

Jim

Offline weldersmate

• Diss, Norfolk, UK.
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
Are you sure they ever went to the moon or landed on Mars? Keith.

Bluechip

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 09:51:24 AM »
Compare the money spent on the engineering and scientific effort with the money wasted on the Olympics and there is no contest (IMHO).

Jim

Don't knock All the Olympics, Jim ....

Some of it's grippng stuff...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9432597/London-2012-Olympics-Shaun-the-Sheep-Olympic-Championsheeps.html

Dave BC

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
Are you sure they ever went to the moon or landed on Mars? Keith.

Well, the moon landing was clearly fake, as ruthlessly exposed by this website: http://stuffucanuse.com/fake_moon_landings/moon_landings.htm
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »
That's some nasty looking cheese! :Jester:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
Pffff, that's nothing. I once drove 1000 miles, and parked within 5mm of the kerb.
5mm;  That's pretty close.
Was the curb (sic; kerb) constantly moving at 59,278.91 miles per hour?
I think it was moving at something close to 1000 Mi. per hour.  As I remember that is about the
surface speed of the earth about the polar axis . ( I think that was at the equator) 
[ something like 25,000 mi in 24 hrs]
   ...lew...

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »
Better our scientific, and engineering developement comes from exploration, whether it be here on earth, or in space, than the other way that these things happen through war.
If at first we don't succeed, we must not stop, just think where we would be if for example man had decided after the first aeroplane fatality we should not continue developing aircraft.    Ian S C

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
Pffff, that's nothing. I once drove 1000 miles, and parked within 5mm of the kerb.
5mm;  That's pretty close.
Was the curb (sic; kerb) constantly moving at 59,278.91 miles per hour?
I think it was moving at something close to 1000 Mi. per hour.  As I remember that is about the
surface speed of the earth about the polar axis . ( I think that was at the equator) 
[ something like 25,000 mi in 24 hrs]
   ...lew...
No, that is how fast the planet is rotating on its axis.  However, it is moving through space in it's course around
the sun at a vastly higher speed.  NASA not only has to park their vehicle on a planet that is spinning on its own
axis, but also speeding through the solar system at the same time.  That's a pretty good parking job, especially
when you consider the scale of the "curb".
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 12:42:40 AM »
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal