Author Topic: One of my other interests  (Read 26166 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: One of my other interests
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 01:11:31 AM »
Very nice work George. My Gosh, along with your machining magic, you are a pretty talented fellow.---Brian

Offline petertha

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 02:44:06 AM »
I do it for my own pleasure.... After high school I attended a commercial art school for a year...gbritnell
Your Stearman picture really does it for me. Of course I've got a soft spot for vintage airplanes & radial engines, but the art itself is captivating. The longer I stare at it, the more detail comes out & I just wonder how hands, eyes & pencils can do that. Im glad you can enjoy art as a side interest. Always amazed by your work & craftsmanship, George. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Tinkerer58

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
This is the first time I have seen your drawings George they are amazing, but the one of the dog left me breathless it's like a photograph how you captured all the detail and the expression I'm lost for words. Now that doesn't happen very often as my wife will tell you LOL.
I just wanna be in me bloody shed.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
Gentlemen,
It's been awhile since I posted anything on this thread so I thought I would add a few more pictures for your viewing. The first one of a DHC-2 Beaver floatplane was originally done as a small pencil sketch for my Aunt who used to fly bush planes. I had my original layouts and afterwards I thought it would make a nice larger painting so I did this one in watercolor.
The second one is one that I just got an award for at the local juried art show. This is of a Lincoln roadster about an early 30's vintage. The title is 'Reflections' which was used because of the high degree of reflections from all the surfaces, painted and chrome.
The last one is entitled 'Sam'. He was my best friend's Golden Retriever after coming out of the pond. I thought it an interesting picture because generally animal portraits are all nice and smooth.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
I am happy you added to this thread George. Your artwork is as amazing as your engines but we knew that already :) .  I really love the one of "Sam"...it looks as if he is about to jump right off the page, and though I am no artist, making a "live" subject look that alive, even down to the sparkle in his eyes must be a rare talent. Thanks for sharing these and please add to them as new works are completed.

Bill

Offline crankshafter

• Molde, Norway
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
George.
Nice  pictures, the one of 'Sam' remembered me of my 'Fia' right out of the pond. She was a Labrador Retriver and loved jump in to the wather. She is long time gone now . Still missing her after all this years :'(

CS
"I cut it twice, and it's still to short"!!??">#%

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »
I had a Golden named Sam!....Samuel Augustus!......Good dog!.....Life was sleeping and chasing after tennis balls....there was nothing else other than chasing the same rabbit out of the garden every morning .......and never catching it.... :Lol:

That Lincoln is Georgous George!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
George,

I have seen your work before, and it really is truly outstanding :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

John
Hey, big fella, glad to see you here!
I confess to doing some painting also. Here is one of mine from my recent trip to the UK. As you may notice, my style is quite loose. That's the way I like it.
Mosey
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:57:53 PM by Mosey »

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
Nice work George!  Thanks for sharing with us.  I like them all, but Sam especially stands out to me too!

Mosey, nice paining there too!
Kim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 05:55:02 PM »
The Lincoln is exquisite - right down to the reflection of the person taking the photo in the fender.  Great work as usual, George. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
Hi Mosey,
I really like loose watercolors but was never able to accomplish that style to my satisfaction so I stay with the tighter stuff like the Beaver float plane.
gbritnell

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 02:00:20 AM »
George,

Whatever works for you, works for me. I couldn't work tightly like you do. Just keep doing them.

Mosey

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »
Gentlemen,
Here's an a few more pictures to update this thread.
The first is a colored pencil drawing of the Pacific Coast Hwy. south of Big Sur, California. When I was stationed out there I took many photos but with time the colors are fading so to extend the life history of my time there I did several paintings.
The second is a pencil sketch of a good friend who is a diesel mechanic. We were at a tractor pull meet and he was working on one of his customer's trucks when I snapped some photos of him. I added the truck in the background to tie the picture together. I gave it to him as a Christmas gift several years back.
An the last one for today is one of my all time favorite car works, a 32 Ford hot rod. The reference work was taken at one of our local Saturday night car gatherings. I just thought the shot with the shading and colors was very eye catching.
gbritnell

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
I always love seeing these George, thanks so much for sharing them from time to time. They truly are amazing!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »
Beautiful work George, I always enjoy seeing your art work. Thanks much for sharing them with us.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal