Author Topic: One of my other interests  (Read 26254 times)

Offline gbritnell

One of my other interests
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
 On the previous site I had posted some of my work so some of the members have already seen them.
 These 2 are new works.
  The Yellow Lab, Belle, was done as a gift for my brother-in-law and his wife for Christmas. We had gone to visit them last October and his wife pulled me aside and asked if I might do a picture of their dog as a surprise. Letting my ego take control before I had time to remember that I don't like doing doggie fur I said, sure! The 3 days that we were there I spent taking 30-40 pictures of their dog. It's hard to get an animal to make the perfect pose so that necessitates lots of reference pictures. This is done with colored pencils on white Stonehenge drawing paper.
 The second picture is one that I just finished. Last fall a photographer friend asked me if I would like to tag along on one of his club's photo shoots. They were doing covered bridges. Along the way there were so many excellent photo opportunities and one was of an old church. As I was taking pictures I walked around the church and noticed the scene depicted here. I took several shots from different vantage points and when I got home this one just seemed to be most pleasing both in color and composition. It is also done with colored pencils. The size is 11.5 x 15.25.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Bogstandard

Re: One of my other interests
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
George,

I have seen your work before, and it really is truly outstanding :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

John

Offline ref1ection

• Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »
I never tire of seeing your art George and it does start to explain your eye for proportion and style on your metal projects. Please keep posting these.

Ray
Indecision... the key to flexibility!

Offline ironman123

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
Trout, George and Jo, you people are blessed with exceptional talents and have honed them to great skills.  I appreciate seeing these things that people are able to accomplish.  My hat is off to all of you.
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:21:47 PM »
Ah, so you use both rods and cones when drawing. Fabulous work, George.

Ray, George might agree with me on this one - something like this takes 99% practice, persistence and elbow grease and takes maybe 1% talent, like most things I suspect.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:11:46 AM »
Gentlemen,
This thread is ages old but rather than start a new one I thought I would add a little to this one. Attached are a few more pictures. This time they are a little more related to our hobby, steam traction engines, and an airplane. These were done with colored pencils.
gbritnell

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 03:40:30 AM »
George, I never tire of seeing your art work, you carried it over into your model making without missing a beat.  Your talents are nothing short of magnificent. God has blessed you my friend.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:40:45 AM »
Beautiful George!....I love looking at anything you do! :praise2:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:39:07 AM »
George

I truly believe that anything you touch gets moulded into something that seems to be a step above what mere mortals could achive. It certainly gives the rest of us something to aim for while we are trying to polish our craft whatever it may be. Thanks for sharing them with us George. :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers  :cheers:

Don

PS: I had an extra drumstick and thought of you yesterday.
Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
Really nice pictures George!  You truly are an artist in many different mediums!

Thanks for sharing your pictures,
Kim

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »
Thanks everyone,
Don, Next month I'll have a drumstick for you and all the fellows from the homeland.
gbritnell

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
George those are wonderful !! I really like the planes...the way you can see the dope and fabric with the stringers !! Bravo Sir !!
 :cheers:
  Dave
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
You certainly haven't lost your touch in either medium George...thanks so much for sharing these newer pieces of art.

Bill

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
Wow!  That's about the only word I can get out to describe those right now!  This is more impressive to me than the metalwork - I do metalwork and I believe given enough time and patience any one truly can be good at it but these drawings are the work of a master!  I ditto the previous comment, this does explain the eye for detail on the engines.

That is really good artwork!  Do you do that professionally George?  Do you do this for hire or sell any of them?

Fantastic George, my highest compliments!
----------
JW

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »
Hi JW,
No I do it for my own pleasure. After high school I attended a commercial art school for a year but had to drop out because of finances. I worked in advertising art for a couple of years but when the apprenticeships opened up my life's vocation went a different way. I have always drawn and painted through the years but only as another hobby. I have sold a few paintings but I don't pursue it. I get jobs mainly by word-of-mouth. Although I do paintings of almost every subject I have always loved cars and mechanical things so those are my favorites.
gbritnell

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal