Author Topic: Cutting Oil  (Read 3676 times)

toolznthings

Cutting Oil
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:49:27 AM »
Hi All,

I found out that the small bottles of Oatey thread cutting oil has sulfur added to it and it works well. Available at Lowes or Home Depot. MSD on their web site.

Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Cutting Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:12:31 AM »
That's good to know Brian. I bought a pint of dark thread cutting oil from MSC a few years ago (the label has long since come off) and I use an old empty bottle of two cycle engine oil (like for weed eaters) to keep enough in for regular use. I still think I have half a pint in the original bottle left, but I'll know where to look when I run out :)

Bill

Offline Yankee Tom

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:38 PM »
For threading steel, I use Do-Drill. It comes from Brownell's, of Montezuma, Iowa, U.S.A. It doesn't smoke or smell as bad as plumber's thread cutting oil, and leaves a good finish.

I use WD-40 on aluminum. It costs more than kerosene, but doesn't stink up the shop/house.

I use Tap-Free, Tap Magic, or Rapid Tap to thread stainless.

Tom

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 04:20:30 PM »
In their Marston Green days I use to get a neat cutting oil from Reeves called Cutmax. This was intended to be diluted (up to 8 : 1 if memory serves) with paraffin and was excellent stuff. I also have a vague recollection of having a can of something good from Galtona.

Anyway, for the last numerous years I have been using Morris's CORA-B. I find this works best for me diluted 50/50 with paraffin. It does not seem quite as good as the stuff I have had previously, and something has started to cause a sort of gummy brown laquer deposit on the lathe that only comes off with petrol and vigorous rubbing.

I used to get CORA-B in 5L cans. Now I find the smallest available is 25L. That is getting on for £150, so before ordering I thought I would ask what people recommend.

This is for turning and milling steels and aluminiums with HSS tooling. Application methods vary. For reaming, tapping and drilling I use Rocol RTD. Morris's have said I might find Cora F better as it is thinner, but I had not told them I was diluting anyway. I don't want soluble oil.     

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal