Author Topic: panther pup engine  (Read 2917 times)

Offline icman

• lincs uk
panther pup engine
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:56:29 PM »
Hi guys thought id let you know what a silly boy ive been!  Trying to get my pup running but will only run for few seconds anyway this horrible noise started to come from the crank case !!!!!!!!! quite clearly some thing had gone amiss (I bet ive got your attention now) Well strip down (the engine not me) and I found the little end in the con rod well out of shape allowing the gudgen pin to rattle around !!!!!Then I rembered  I made the con rods from HE30 ali not high strength stuff(technical term) and this had allowed a very high wear rate  between the ali and phos bronze pin!!!.luck  on my side, the con rods have quite a large head,so I drilled and reamed to take a phos bronze bush with new silver steel gudgen pins.Also drilled small hole in top of con rod to allow oil to enter.I loctited the pins in the pistons  to ensure the only moving part would be silver steel against phos bronze.I caped the ends of the gudgen pins with ptfe pads (thats another story ) to ensure if they did move they would not score the ali cylinders.Back now to trying to get it to run properly...........That's what happens if you use the wrong materials !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  regards mike.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:59:39 PM by icman »
Above workshop door. "abandon hope all ye that  enter here "

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: panther pup engine
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
Nice fix Mike!! Glad you didn't have to remake the con rods. As a side note for future reference, can you reduce the size of your phohtos to no more than 800 x 600 pixels. These huge file sizes take up more server space and require much longer download speeds for those with slower connections. Since the forum software truncates the displayed size anyway so you don't have to scroll around the pictures, there is no advantage to the larger resolutions.

Bill

Offline icman

• lincs uk
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
Hi bill will sort out the pic size next time I put pic up .regards mike
Above workshop door. "abandon hope all ye that  enter here "

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »
Many thanks Mike...please don't take it as critical in any way...it just  helps us all. I use Picassa to downsize my pictures but there are many available and simple programs that will do the same.

Regards,
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal