Author Topic: Pottymill horizontal engine build  (Read 79598 times)

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
Re: Pottymill horizontal engine build
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2015, 02:07:05 AM »
Wrapping it up!

It's time to wrap up this build and put it up for show.   I went with gaskets today.  Since I didn't have silicone, I decided I'd try paper.  I had some vellum which I found was only 0.002 inch vs. 0.004 for my ordinary printer paper.  I applied some oil to make it "stick" (this worked well) and it looked like this:

I assembled the cylinder and valve mechanism and tried applying air before I put the whole engine back together.  I had the air on with a rather high pressure (50 psi) and the thing nearly jumped out of my hand when it snapped!   I squirted a little oil around and found I still have a very slight leak at the bottom of the front cylinder cover, and a teeny bit leaks at the corner where the front cylinder cover meets the valve chest.  I'll leave it for now.  Next time I'm at an auto parts store I'll look for something appropriate and if I ever need to take it apart I'll apply it.

Here are some pictures of the assembled engine.  It's running fine again, too.  I'll get the video uploaded and do a final post over in the showcase.

I'm pretty proud of it.  A nice engine and a super-thanks again to Stew for designing it and sharing it with me!

Todd

P.S.  According to photobucket I have taken 1134 photos for this build.   I know you guys love photos, so there ya go....

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2015, 02:14:16 AM »
Beautiful result Todd, and excellent pictures too!!  Well done.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
Nicely done Todd  8),

So, what is next  :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »
An inspirational build Todd  :ThumbsUp:

Many thanks for the progress reports and pics and certainly now moved much higher on my build list.

Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »
Here's the link to the showcase:  http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=4966.0

And here's the video so you don't need to look :)  If you've followed the build you've seen the photos I posted over there.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJRCVVy86w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJRCVVy86w</a>

Jo asks what next...and yeah, that is on my mind (why is that? :)).  I'm really not sure at the moment.  I might do one more bar stock engine before trying castings.  But I have a few shop projects to do after I clean up some of the mess I created in the shop.  I'd like to make a carriage stop, maybe some soft jaws (for lathe and bench vise), a mod or two to my "new" bandsaw, etc.  I also need to adjust my mill's Z axis.  I made a list of "problems" to fix during the build.

So meanwhile I'll be skimming prints, magazines, and books for engines and will be dreaming.   The only thing I can say is that the "Wall Engine" by Roy Ozouf is growing on me.  It's a weird little engine and is in his "Three Elegant Oscillators" book which I immediately bought when kvom started the Coventry build.  It's beyond my skill level, but I'm ok to push to the next level!

Todd

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #200 on: May 22, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »
Nicely built and presented Todd.  You are well on your way.
It is interesting how a list of things to do and tooling to make grows with every build ... all part of the fun.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
Brilliant Todd, well done. What are the three elegant oscillators like? Are they bar stock?

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2015, 04:18:26 AM »
Hi Todd, nicely done. You have shown an informative build report with very good pictures. Thanks for let us following step by step on your way. Waiting for your next project.r
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:33:14 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2015, 01:40:38 AM »
Labeling it

Ok, one more minor update.  As I was making my walnut bases for my engines, including the base for the Pottymill Horizontal engine, I left room for little trophy plates to label the engines.  This was my fourth build so I decided it was time to order some.

I decided to go with trophykits.com.  Their web page looked easy to use and the prices are dirt cheap.   The first three engines had room for 1" wide by 4" long plates, and the Pottymill engine could use a much longer plate, but I went with 5".   I sent rather picky instructions that I'd like the fonts to be big and match across the four plates if possible, and asked if they could please right justify the year and left justify the engine name.  Well, damn they got it exactly right!   And for only $2 USD per plate.   It took 5 days, but here they are...spif!

They came with double stick tape already on the back, so here they are on my set of engines.

How cool is that?

Todd

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2015, 01:52:30 AM »
Nice Todd!

If I could build 3 engines in one year I wouldn't know what to do! My projects are measured in years not months.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2015, 01:58:47 AM »
Those turned out very nice Todd. I will keep that link in mind!!

Bill

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
I have just read this thread from start to finish.

Very full and transparent description, and beautifully photographed, resulting in an immaculate engine.

I plan to have a go at this engine once I have a couple of oscillators under my belt. Only one thing, though - I don't share your love of maths so when it comes to the flywheel I'll be using dividing plates   ;)

gary

Offline Toolmaker43

« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2022, 05:03:20 PM »
Hi this is a great build. Is there any packing behind the hexagon gland at all. I know the gland on the valve has packing but not sure about the hex one. Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal