Author Topic: DIY Digital Height Gauge  (Read 3986 times)

Arbalest

DIY Digital Height Gauge
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »
This is a nice one!

http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/digital_height_gauge/digital_height_gauge-e.htm

Not another job on my "to do list"  :Lol:

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
Re: DIY Digital Height Gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
Nice! It's amazing how much more expensive a digital height gauge is than the equivalent digivern.

Simon

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
Hi all,

I thought you might like to see the one that I made.  :happyreader:
Best Regards:  Baron.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

Arbalest

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
Hhm, different again. I'll have to give this some thought before I start cutting metal!

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »
Hi Arbalest,

The logic behind mine is that I found it quite difficult to use as a scriber because you just couldn't move the measuring head accurately enough by hand, no problem using it like you would a caliper.  So I used a length of 1/4" whitworth threaded rod and the brass thumb wheel to precisely set the height.  I also added a lock screw so that it couldn't move whilst using it.

I've more photographs of the construction if you want to see them.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

Arbalest

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »
Thanks for that, I get the gist of the construction. I may ask more questions later ...  :naughty: The micro adjust does seem like a highly desirable addition. M6 sounds like a good choice for me as one Rev = 1mm.

Arbalest

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »
This ones really simple.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »
Baron,

Does your design provide for a way to disengage the head from the screw?  The screw is fine for fine adjustment but I wouldn't want to fiddle with that rather awkwardly placed knurled wheel to make gross adjustments in the head position.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 08:37:44 PM »
Hi Marv,

No !  there is no method to disconnect the leadscrew.  I did make a spring loaded clasp for it but found that I couldn't overcome the slop in the slide without making it so tight that the spring wouldn't push the blade back fully.  I gave up after that, other things became more interesting.

One idea that I did have, was to make a cam that rotated a short threaded piece against the leadscrew threads, a bit like a lathe half nut only much smaller but I never followed it up.

Just out of interest those bearings in that last picture are precision double race ones from the guts of old 3.5" hard disk drives.  I dread to think how much they would have cost if I had to buy them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal