Author Topic: Let's see your Rotab jigs and fittings  (Read 7526 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Let's see your Rotab jigs and fittings
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
My table has a MT-I forget hole in the center.  I made a brass plug with the appropriate male taper to fit the hole.  In place its top edge is just below the surface of the sacrificial plate.

Said plug has an accurate, centered and reamed, 1/4" hole about 1" deep.  Table centering plugs fit this hole as do a series of studs of various diameters (with one end turned to 1/4") used to locate parts clamped to the table.

At the bottom of this hole is a lesser hole threaded 10-32.  A long bolt with a sliding weight is used as a midget slide hammer to pop the plug out of the table without the need to access the table bottom.

I don't have any pictures but, if needed, I can take some.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 07:24:06 PM »
I have a Vertex 4" RT with dividing plates and Tail Stock.
I made a copy of my 7x spindle nose and mounted it on a shop made modified M2 taper that fits in the RT Center hole. With this adapter, I can mount all my lathe chucks and faceplate to the RT.

Chuck

Arbalest

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
Nice idea Chuck. I have four chucks for my Lathe so that's somerhing worth doing.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »
I like the little manually rotating tables for small work.    I have an 8" ...and it works great...but the vise has to come off to use it.
Something I can put in the mill vise and use is very attractive for rounding small links ect.
Dave

That's something I've been planning on making for years Dave - even have the material cut off and waiting. What I'd never given thought to was that fact that one could be held in the vise for small stuff  :facepalm2: - looks like that project will be resurrected all too soon  :ThumbsUp:

Ramon
For small or larger stuff when rounding ends or milling flutes. The rounding table can be used in the vise very easily. Marv has this on his web site. I use it often to round ends and clamps can be adjusted for stops or used without stops. I have an assortment of bushing for varies size holes. A groove is milled into the table for the cutter to fit below the work as well as a hole for the Swarf to fall through.

Regards Don
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:09:04 PM by Don1966 »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
OK....I just cheated....bought a 4" RT ...a Vertex copy.    Seems nice, and for the price...it was a no brainer......

I'll mount it to deep keys that I can bury in my mill vise.    I'll put my small toolmakers vise on it as well.

The Mt2 to chuck adapter is a worthwhile item to make though.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »
Don - This has to be taking the idea to it's most basic and simplistic form - just a round flat disc with a central pin with a block below to hold in the vise - Love it  :ThumbsUp:

I have several pre turned flat discs to 6" dia - something coming up shortly ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
Don - This has to be taking the idea to it's most basic and simplistic form - just a round flat disc with a central pin with a block below to hold in the vise - Love it  :ThumbsUp:

I have several pre turned flat discs to 6" dia - something coming up shortly ;)

Regards - Ramon
Ramon I can take it apart a photo it if you wish.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal