Author Topic: Painting Zamak Parts  (Read 3458 times)

Offline AOG

Painting Zamak Parts
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »
I am currently working on a Sussex steam type A beam engine and I have run into something new ( to me). The castings that come with the kit are of a very soft metal that (in my opinion) looks horrible. Initially i thought they were some sort of 1100 series aluminum but I tried to polish one of the parts and it disintegrated on the polishing wheel. After remaking the damaged parts in brass I did some research and it appears that the parts are die cast from a zinc alloy called Zamak.  I have decided to paint the parts and I am looking for some advice on surface prep and finishing of Zamak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:35:52 PM by AOG »

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
Re: Painting Zamak Parts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
Tony,
Zamac castings can be "oily" and the metal oxidizes easily.  Fettle them to suit yourself, as you would a conventional castings, then use emery or steel wool to remove any loose material or oxide.   Scrub them well in a hot dish detergent solution or dergreaser, dry thoroughly, and then prime paint with a good metal primer.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline AOG

Re: Painting Zamak Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:22:26 AM »
Thanks that's what I needed to know. I can tell you this much I already can't stand this stuff. I am going to have to sleeve the cast flywheel that came with the kit because it's to soft for the set screw that they put in it. When I tried to tighten it onto the shaft it chewed up the threads. I think I am going to bore out the hub and loctite in a steel sleeve and thread it for the set screw.

Tony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal