Author Topic: Draw Dies  (Read 9099 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Draw Dies
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »
Very interesting thread. Thanks Dave.
I've wondered about forming metal sheet and this is helpful.

Is there any preparation needed for the blank? Like heating? What about other metals?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave G

• Ohio
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:13:31 AM »
Dan, there is .001" clearance when the blank is in position between the die and the stripper. The brass has to flow and if the stripper deflects and rises the blank will wrinkle. The support bars were found to be needed after my first unsuccessful attempt.

Zee, The material I used was from a roll of .02" brass used for forming, I haven't tried brass shim stock yet but I suspect it would form allright. It may need to be annealled which is easy with brass or copper. When we formed steel we used stock that was made for forming. I remember a job I had where the steel was delaminating after forming and after investigation it was found that one of our purchasing agents got a deal on some steel strip stock for us. It was the last time he found us a deal anywhere. Good forming steel can be found in coils in the scrap or can be sourced from a local tool & die shop. If you would like to harden the part after forming you can use 1070 steel. Steel requires much more pressure to form. All of the forming I have done has been at room temperature.

Dave

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:32 AM »
Dave,
what kind of press are you using?
Arbor? Hydraulic?

John

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:36 AM »
Dave, thank you for this very educational post.  Well written and explained, and I'll bet a lot of us learned
a good deal about this interesting subject.  Great thread!
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »
Thanks a lot Dave. Not being a die maker whenever I have had to do similar work it was a hit and miss method but with your detailed explanation I should have better luck next time.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Dave G

• Ohio
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 01:10:54 PM »
Hi John, I originally used an arbor press and it worked well. For this thread I used my 20 ton hydraulic press. I wasn't sure if it would work as the motion isn't uniform with a hand pump hydraulic press but it seems to have worked just fine.

Dean and George,
 I am glad you have found this useful, Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal