Author Topic: Hemingway Retracting tool Holder  (Read 17354 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Hemingway Retracting tool Holder
« on: December 15, 2014, 11:33:07 PM »
Well I am back to making tools again. I have a couple of tool I was interested in so another thread. The Retracting tool holder is used for single point threading and can be adapted to any lathe.
I started this of by making the tool slider body and the piece is 3.060" long by 1.100" wide by .720".
I started off by squaring the body and then cutting a .277" wide by .430 deep slot after mounting it into the vise leaving .5" above the vise. Then cut a midsection out of 1.72 x.430 deep 1" from the the tool mount head.

After milling we end up with this.

Next I flipped it over after cutting a .257 by .313" slot opposite the first slot which is on the bottom in the vise by the way. Using a 60 degree dovetail cutter and started cutting the slide V on bothe sides leaving .015" on the end of the dovetail.

Then we drilled the opening and milled it to .540" square. This opening is for the camshaft to operate into, which will move the slide back an forth.

After milling the 7 degree offset on the top of the tool holder block of the slide i drilled and tapped two M5 screw holes and flip the body and drilled the .25" hole for the cutting tool at a 7 degree rack angle.

And we have the slide body complete which looks like this.

That's all for today and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
Re: Hemingway Retracting tool Holder
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:38 PM »
Thats a  good start Don  :)  I struggled with that bit when i made mine, not sure if it was the way it was explained in the book or my inability to read it  ;D
It really is a good tool though, made mine to cut my first left hand thread and worm for a Myford dividing head based on the Radford design.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:51:36 AM »
Hi Andy, thanks and I do find it to be a nice tool to use on threading. I hope I can build it without to many mishaps. The dividing head, I built both the attachment for the lathe and the VDH. Love using both of them.

Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:44 PM »
More time in the shop today so I started on the body of the tool by cutting a .75 groove by .28 deep down the center. This will be the dovetail side and we will come back to that later.

Then flipped the body over to cut the tool support profile. And one of the reasons to not continue on the dove tail side was to prevent distortion by clamping it in the vise after cutting them, plus releasing the stress in the metal. So we have this photo of the tool support completed after calculating how high to place in to fit my tool holder.

So now we can flip it back over and now refine our edge to cut the dovetails.

After completing the dovetails we have this.

And a shoot of the assembly together with the gib inserted. Of coarse the gib hasn't been trimmed to fit yet. So that's another day.

That's all for today and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:23:24 AM »
Very nice Don and great pictures as usual!!  Looks like its coming together perfectly.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:58:34 AM »
Thanks Bill, so far so good and hopefully the rest will be smooth as well.

Don

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »
Oh I'm watching this!   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
Looking good Don, I might make one some day so this post will be a great reference! :praise2:
Pete

A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »
Its not often you see these GHT retracting tool holders, mine was not built to be pretty but purely functional hence a few machining marks are still evident.

You might want to go the whole hog and make one of these next. I made this years ago and sold it when someone tempted me with a wad of cash. I should have kept it with hindsight.

Phil

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
Those who don't have the patience to make the Hemingway may want to consider Bogstandard's ingenious swing-up threading toolholder.

A very complete description of its construction, and videos of its use, can be found here...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,858.msg9461/topicseen.html#new
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Arbalest

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
It's on my list Marv, thanks for reminding me!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »
Hi Dave and Pete thanks for tagging along. Phil nice job on yours and as long as it works like it is suppose to.
Marv thanks for the link.

With a little time to burn I did a little more on the tool. After squaring the bridge plate I drilled the holes for mounting it. There are two pinning holes that will be use to line it up to the main body.

Next some work to trim the gib and cut the 30 angles on the swivel vise.

I also had to drill the holes in the main body for the Allen screws to adjust the gib with. Tapping it on the Pillar tool.

I aligned the bridge plate to the main body and drilled and pinned the 3/32" holes before drilling the mounting holes.

After a rough assembly we have a family shot.

That's all for now and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:25:52 AM »
That's looking great Don. Look like that pillar tool has come in very handy too. You should be getting close now from the looks of it.

Bill

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:55:13 PM »
What is the reason for using a Retracting Tool Holder?
Mosey   :noidea:

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »
Its really useful when you are screw cutting on the lathe :)
Rather than reset the cross slide dial after every pass, you pull the lever back and it will clear the work piece by about 0.150"
So the screw cutting process for me is.
Touch off, either power feed the cut on (in back gear) or use mandrel crank by hand.
Disengage clutch, pull retracting tool lever back, drop back gear out, wind back using  hand crank.
Next pass, push lever forward (positive repeatable lock) add top slide cut put back gear back in and repeat.
By doing this, when using odd gear trains, it does not interrupt the timing of the gear train. So i can cut metric on my imperial lathe easy :)   
The tool just makes one part of it a bit simpler. But if you need to cut a worm, the tool bit can be rotated in the tool simply also .
HTH

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal