Author Topic: Pumped Up Cameron Steam Pump  (Read 38923 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Pumped Up Cameron Steam Pump
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
Hi Jason,
 Thanks for the reply. That's still a lot of work in a relatively short time! Can't wait for the next episode.

Jo, when you finish your traction engine, you can spend a happy couple of hours driving round you section flattening the ever growing grass! At our last house I use to love getting out on a very sunny day & mowing the lawn, we had kikuyu (?)  a south African grass, you could hear it scream in protest, but a week latter it needed mowing again! Best solution roundup!! :lolb:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
Thank you Jason, I will have to see what I can get here, the Swiss can be a bit funny about chemicals. The base of my horizontal engine will need some filler  ::)
Hi Roger, try to google for "Balistol, Robla Kaltentfetter, fluid 50 ml or 500 ml or Spray 200 ml", should be available also in Swiss.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:38:11 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
Or borrow your other halfs nail varnish remover which is quite often acetone (so I'm told)

Plenty on your e-bay

http://www.ebay.ch/sch/i.html?_odkw=acetone&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xaceton&_nkw=aceton&_sacat=0
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:45:11 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 07:54:20 PM »
The two flanges on the columns are joined by a "link pipe" which happened to scale out quite nicely to UK 15mm OD plumbing copper pipe. Its not easy to bend this to a very tight radius as its quite a thin wall so I tend to buy a full crossover plumbing fitting and cut the two ends off. Add two turned steel flanges, a bit of pipe and two internal sleeves to keep the pipe/bend joint inline and solder.

When machining the flanges on the columns I made a note of the centre co-ordinates and calculated the exact distance between the two, it was then a simple matter to drill a couple of holes on each PCD at the right spacing in some angleiron to make a jig to hold the parts while soldering.

And here it is in place after a clean up

To keep the valve balls in place requires a cover to the access holes, a couple of bits of cast iron were sawn off and machined to overall size.

The 4 mounting holes were drilled and the centre spotted so it could be clocked in the 4-jaw. Then a spigot was turned to a good fit in the hole and then holding by that a recess was cut into the outer face with a rounded tool to keep the cast look.

I'll make the studs at the end of the job. There is a small length of 1/8" brass fitted to the middle of teh spigot that limits the amount that the ball can lift off its seat

The valve seats screw in from below so a piece of brass was turned down to 18mm and a 1mm pitch thread cut. As it would have been hard to test fit the thread in the completed columns before chucking the brass I turned and tapped a test gauge which is what you can see perched on top

Next a 1/2" hole was bored to get a good round hole and then the seat cut back at a 30degree angle before parting off.

A screwdriver slot was added to teh other end and thats the pair done.

J

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »
Nice!
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »
Jason I believe that's your best fabrication yet. Still glued to my chair here. I like................ :praise2:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 12:34:58 AM »
Very nice Jason...very nice indeed!!!

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 01:02:06 AM »
Jason -

That is some incredible fabrication work.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 07:35:54 PM »
So far I have welded and stuck parts together so it must be time to silver solder :)

The bottom of the "A" frame which supports one end of the crankshaft started out as a length of 1" x 3/8" hot rolled which was cleaned up to the required 7/8" x 5/16" and a recess machined in the bottom face. This was why I chose hot rolled as it is less likely to bend if an unbalanced cut is made.

The top face was then counterbored for some bosses around the mounting holes and some 1/8" wide x 1/16" deep slots cut to locate the two side flanges and a central web.

I've had some 1" x 1" brass tee section hanging about for years so thought that would be suitable to make the legs with. These were faced off at the required angle and the leg of the tee reduced in length part way, here they are stood in the slots.

It does not show too well in the photo but this bit of 1/2" steel also had the ends machined to the correct angle and then a slot cut with an 1/8" saw for the wide part of the tee section leg to locate into.

I then milled away some of the waste either side and put a hole in where the bearing brass will go to reduce the mass so it was easier to get upto soldering temps without overheating the brass and risking it melting or distorting.

A strip of 1/8" steel was shaped up for the bottom web using a 5/8" cutter to get the internal radius required.

Finally a couple of screws were added to help hold things together while soldering.

After a quick clean up the "casting" was then packed up at an angle on the mill table and the sides tapered along with the shaped parts either side of the main housing which also got rid of the assembly screw heads/ends.

When both sides had been done it was set horizontal and the pocket for the bearing milled out, I also added a couple of small holes in the corners to make it easier to file them out square.

Following a good cleanup, easing external corners and adding fillets to the internal corners it looks like this.

To stop the bearings dropping out the bottom requires a keep plate. The original smaller drawings just show a flat bit of bar but looking at photos of pumps in preservation they have a stiffening web on them. So a piece of bar was duly drilled and slotted and some bits shaped to fit in these holes and slots.

And after soldering etc they look a bit more like cast items

J
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:41:44 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
I hope you take this the right way, but, that so good it's just stupid.  I mean just stinking brilliant

E

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
Have to agree with Big E Jason...more superlative fabrication work!!

Bill

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 12:53:49 AM »
 8)

Simon

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
Hi Jason, I am quietly following along and try to learn. A brilliant fabrication work.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »
Brilliant approach to a well though out solution Jason. Thanks for the training lessons.

8)

Don

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »
Magnificent looking 'castings'  :praise2:  :praise2: Still following along and learning  :cheers:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal