Author Topic: Introduce myself  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Jimpaton

Introduce myself
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:25:32 AM »
I registered here as I want to make a small Diesel engine. I have been a woodworker all my life but now want to branch into metal work. I am thinking of buying a Warco lathe and milling machine. I have purchased plans and instructions for the NGEz-1 diesel and they seem pretty good. Does anyone have comments about this choice?  I wish to proceed carefully and will be happy to have multiple attempts at getting it right if necessary. I have watched lots of relevant stuff on YouTube and other websites.
I would appreciate a basic guide on "porting" ,what it is and how it is set up. It seems to be  a channel on the outside of the cylinder liner around the inlet port in the liner. Diesels such as the Mills have exhaust ports on both sides, the ED Bee on one only. If anyone could refer me to a book or URL  I would be grateful. Also whether this NGEZ-1 diesel is easy to start and runs well.  I would use it in a sport free flight model, maybe with radio assist. Failing the above, I shall just plough ahead and learn as I go. My other alternative is to just copy a Mills or similar.
All responses gratefully received.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
Hello 'Jimpaton'
Welcome to the forum  :hi:

As a keen diesel engine builder myself I can only say how satisfying they are to make and run so if I can be of any help please ask. I am not familiar with the NGEZ-1 but am reasonably well versed on porting. May I suggest that now you have made an introductory post you begin a thread on the engine when I'm positive all kinds of help and interest in what you are doing will be on hand

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »
Hi Jim and welcome.  I have never built a diesel so I cannot help.  All I can say is that you take the plunge, start cutting some metal and take it one step at a time.

Vince

Offline Jimpaton

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »
Thanks Ramon. Will do. I am going to the Model Engineer Exhibition in January and will probably buy the machinery from there, if I can get a good deal. Meanwhile I am enjoying myself getting informed. A lot of aeromodellers seem to have an engineering rather than a woodworking background. We never did metal working at school, unfortunately. However, I am looking forward to the learning curve!

Offline Jimpaton

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »
Thanks Vcutajar.
That's probably how it's going to be !

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
Welcome to MEM Jim. As you can tell, folks here are eager to help and though I have no experience in diesels, there are several here, like Ramon, that do. Good luck as you begin acquiring equipment and take the plunge into metalworking :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal