Author Topic: Half Scale Excellence part 2  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Half Scale Excellence part 2
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:34:50 PM »
Hi guys - not much to tell tonight save that we had visitors today  :) My good friend Chris (Modelsteam) and his wife Gill drove over from Cambridge and spent the day with us. A nice trip out for a good Sunday lunch saw us in good mood for an afternoons nattering, needless to say about all things engine -well, Chris and I that is ;)

He brought a 'couple of things' to show me so here are a few pics for you.

His 'toolbox' carried a surprise

Hidden inside underneath the towel were these two little gems

You will recall no doubt they are half scale versions of the Anthony Mount designed Mc'Onie and Galloway Non Dead Centre engines

They were soon whisked out of the box and I can tell you both turn over by hand very nicely indeed. Lovely workmanship in such small scale. With the compressor fully charged they were soon coupled up to the airline but unfortunately one of the linkage rods pulled from its lever on the Galloway before I could take a pic of it running but I assure you run it did.

The M'cOnie on the other hand, along with it's big brother ran for about an hour. The larger one giving a lovely beat and running at quite a slow speed with the littl'un running as smooth as a watch

I know I pull his leg about not posting but it's truly not Chris's thing - making engines though obviously is. I'm sure you'll agree this is a superb collection of engines - I hope you enjoy them as much as we did this afternoon.

It was a pleasure to have them on the bench and a great time Chris and Gill that disappeared all too quickly - let's do it all again sometime soon

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Half Scale Excellence part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 01:00:27 AM »
Those are both superb Ramon. And to see all that detail at such a small scale makes it all the more amazing.  Sounds like a lovely afternoon for sure....thanks for sharing the pictures!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:56 AM »
Beautifully built in every since. Ramon thanks for posting them and sharing them with us.  I like........................... :praise2:

Don

Online sco

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:49 AM »
Just superb!

Hoping to see the little 'un in the flesh soon,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
Very Nice!     :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:36:28 PM »
Hi Ramon, they are beautiful. Congratulation to Chris. I am a fan of this non dead centre engines.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:18:02 PM »
I know there are castings for the McOnie, but did he make casting for the half-scale?

Both of these are great models.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 11:20:49 PM »
Hi guys - glad you appreciate them as much as I did. I'm sure Chris will be pleased with your comments.

kvom - no, no castings, the little versions are all built from scratch. Chris doesn't have silver soldering facilities either so it's either bolts or soft solder.

We discussed his 'theory'  ;) If they are built in half scale then if there are any problems in the original size surely these are halved too   :Lol:

He tells me that the main consideration in building in half scale came from watching someone struggle with loading large engines at the end of the show last year. I guess he has a point there.

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 07:12:27 AM »
Very late to the party, I know, but wow! these are beautiful!

:agree:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal