Author Topic: Model Otto_Deutz  (Read 6351 times)

Offline jpaul

• Los Angeles, Calif, USA
    • So.Calif.HomeShopMachinists
Model Otto_Deutz
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:06:11 PM »
Inspired by some of the work done by George Britnell and b.lindsey for what I will term "contour machining" I set out to expand my talents. Off the bat,  I will  yield to these men for what they have shown is admirable to say the least.

First is the results of my effort. It is the Crank Shaft Carrier for an Inverted Single Cylinder IC engine.

The procedure involved several setups, calculating tool positions, edge and center finding, and dialing a cutter into a number of positions. Then  following  a machining sequence that didn't back me into a corner (a part without a reference surface or provisions for clamping).

Here is the block in the beginning stage. This set up was devised to set the part parallel to the cylinder bore then machine perpendicular to that cylinder bore. Seems a little convoluted but it worked.

Then there was the problem of machining the boss between the uprights. My solution was this offset boring bar with a form tool bit.

Lots of layout dye and voila, it beginning to resemble plan.
I still have some file work sanding and minor machining, but the experience was well worth the effort. 

Regards, Paul
member, So.Cal. Home Shop Machinists
http://www.schsm.com

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Model Otto_Deutz
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »
That's some nice machining :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I think that I know the prototype, can you post a picture or plans of the complete engine?
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
jpaul...happy to see you posting a build thread and thanks for the compliment, though I am hardly in the same ballpark with George. I like your set-up in that 3rd picture, nice way to accomplish that bit of machining. Looking forward to seeing more of this one.

Bill

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
Paul,

I'm glad to see that my kick in the encouragement got you out of lurker mode and into contributing.

That's very nice work, indeed.  However the name for it is HAM (Human Assisted Machining), not "contour machining". :-)

We'll look forward to more of your wisdom.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
I like that a lot J!

Well done!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline SHOPGUY

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
Beautiful.
Thanks for posting.
Ernie J

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 01:01:23 AM »
That is a nice piece of work; looking forward to seeing more.

Is this the same size as the castings offered by Heinz Kornmuller? I have a set of his castings aging on the shelf.
I was never really thrilled about running it on a glow plug as it will need power all the time; but haven't got that far into it to decide what to do or which way to go.

Thanks for posting your  progress,
Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 01:13:44 AM »
Jpaul that is some exceptional work and please continue to post and contribute to the forum? The offset boring I pickup up from GHT'S Book but have never used it and your use of it is top notch.

Regards Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 04:57:42 AM »
Hi Jpaul, that is a very interesting machining set up for these inner bosses. I like the way you managed this. Hoping to see more of this engine build in the near future.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline jpaul

• Los Angeles, Calif, USA
    • So.Calif.HomeShopMachinists
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. You must know that your passion for this hobby infects us all, even the lurkers :)

The Plan set I am working from is that of Helnz Kornmuller, Clasic Motors, www.classic-motors.at.  Executive Model Design, www.minicastings.com is marketing his casting set here in the US.

Here is a more recent picture of my build. I am actually a little further along than this picture reveals. I can see light at the end of >>>>.

Dave, as you mentioned,  the plans call for a Glow Plug ignition.  I found a discussion on this engine and it's GP ignition at www.model-engineer.co.uk/forum. jasonB was a contributor so I am comforted knowing that there is help just key strokes away. I am very thankful that this exchange of information is taking place.
Regards, Paul
member, So.Cal. Home Shop Machinists
http://www.schsm.com

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 01:05:27 AM »
Thanks Paul

The family shot looks nice.

I did some poking around trying to find the thread on the ME forum with no luck. I searched on both Otto and Deutz.

Can you get me a little closer? I would like to read it. The link you gave, gives me a 404 error; but if I go the main site then I'm able to go the forum section.

Dave

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:07:15 AM »
Nice work Paul.  Keep it coming.  This design is a bit different from the usual bar stock IC engine designs and I'm looking forward to your happy dance :pinkelephant:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 01:02:14 PM »
Someone mention my name?

This is the thread on ME. For future reference if you want to search the forums it is best to use the google search part way down the homepage as the actual forum one is rubbish.

JPaul, you are doing a very good job so far.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
Thanks Jason

Dave

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 05:57:36 AM »
Hello,

Unfortunately, the site of Heinz Kornmüller has not been available for some time.
Does anyone know what's going on?

The magazine Onderstoom will soon produce a report on the Otto Deutz engine. Unfortunately in 1/10 scale. My dad would like the engine a little better.

Maybe someone has the blueprints of Heinz Kornmüller?

Greeting Toby

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal