Author Topic: Big Machines, Russia  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Tater

• East Village, New York City
Re: Big Machines, Russia
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »
That sounds about right, Ian.  There's an entire BMW motorcycle production line somewhere in Siberia.  The Russians got drawing and castings from Germany before the war,  copied the designs exactly, tooled up and churned out hundreds of thousands of BMW clones.   They basically built the same bike for 30 years with that tooling.

BTW did anyone notice what's on the wall in picture 6, on the other side of the pin-up wall - an Abacus!  That wasn't for keeping score in card games. It was the shop calculator!  I kid you not. Those guys cold do calculations fast, too!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
Totally off-thread, but....try to catch the Modern Marvels TV show on the subject of grease where they show the Wilson Elevator Comany plant in Pittsburgh, PA. The machine shop manufacturing area is still in operation after 100 years using the original line-shaft. They showed a man lubricating the bull gear of the still in use planer with a handful of grease. Yes, he swabs it on with his hand. He does this religiously once every 35 years! Other old, large machinery can be seen in operation.
Mosey  :killcomputer:

Offline Tater

• East Village, New York City
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
Mosey, you'd like the place I used to work. Just transitioned off DC and line shaft machine shop the mid 80's.  Not a digital tool in the entire place:

Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
Tater, You're right, I like it!
Mosey  :agree:

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
I use to have a chinese made CJ750 motorcycle sidecar when I lived in Beijing, it was based on the 1956 Soviet IMZ M-72 which was copied from the 1938 BMW R71, they are still a popular ride round the city and are no doubt made to this day using the same tooling and proceadures as the originals

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal