Author Topic: Quick and dirty chuck stop  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Coopertje

Quick and dirty chuck stop
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:44:48 PM »
Tonight I have put together a lathe chuck stop. Took me a little over 1 hour, do not understand why I waited years to make something so useful. Thought to share it here, maybe it can be useful for others….or not….

My Harrison lathe has a MK4.5 taper in its spindle nose. I happen to have 2 sleeves MK4.5 to MK3 taper. Took the worst of both and reduced it such that it just a little out of the lathe spindle nose

Have some old machinable MK3 adaptor

and cleaned it up in the lathe with some emery paper (I always cover the ways when using emery paper)

Mounted it in the adaptor sleeve and marked the length

Cut to size with the bandsaw

Drill and tap M8 for about 30mm deep

Turned down a piece of steel of 12mm to 8mm and treaded it M8

The other side I turned down to 7.5mm (the crank taps for my V8 engine will be 8mm) and made a spare one for future use. Below it is mounted in the spindle nose

And a view with the chuck mounted

Finally a family shot of the parts

I know there are much better and more versatile design but for me this will do and the goal was to make something quick!

Regards Jeroen

Offline moerman

• Zin in modelvliegen
Re: Quick and dirty chuck stop
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 09:26:15 AM »
Well done Jeroen! Definitely something I should make in the near future.

Wout

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »
Thank you Wout, I am sure that you will not regret making one!

Regards Jeroen

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »
Jeroen:

Nice work and certainly solves the problem.

Will a 5C collet fit inside a MT4.5? My lathe has a MT5 in the spindle and I was able to make a MT5 to 5C adaptor. Add a draw tube to tighten the collet and its ready to go.

I've found it incredibly useful. I even found it can stay in place with a 3 or 4 jaw in place, so it can be used for a chuck stop also.

Thanks for the write up.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
Thank you hugh. Nice solution you have on your lathe. I have a adaptor from MT5 to 5C, kept it when I sold my previous lathe. I am planning to make a Camlock-3 disk with a MT5 taper and put the C5 Adapter inside. I would like to be able to remove it quickly since many times I have some stock inside the spindle noise.  Hope I win the Christmas lottery, then I can quit working and finally finish all the projects from my wish list!

Thanks for showing your solution, I like it!

Regards Jeroen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal