Author Topic: switzer cam grinder  (Read 6165 times)

Offline will53727

switzer cam grinder
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »
Been attempting to make the Switzer cam grinder from the article/drgs from Strictly IC. Seems there are a lot of errors on the drgs and I think some omissions. Anyone made one previously. Could usefully use either a GA for it or possibly some fotos, particularly in the spindle housing area. Can anyone help who perhaps made one previously?
Cheers
GW

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: switzer cam grinder
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
Gary, In the first SIC mag (#39) it had a single page description of the grinder with three (poor) photos. I am not sure if they will help  :shrug:

And if you have time could you please post an introduction to yourself in the introduction section  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline will53727

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »
Did it the wrong way round Jo, oops. Got #39 and #40 and the relevant info from #41 but I'm afraid it's not good enough to enable me to finish it. Spindle housing end plates show they're solid but don't believe that's right hence request for help.
GW

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »
Gary - don't know if it will help but there was quite a bit published on cam grinding in Model Engine Builder just before in became a web only production

https://www.modelenginebuilder.com/

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
Several photos of one based on the Switzer design here, Look at the "Camshaft grinding gallery"

http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/cams.htm

Offline will53727

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Hi Jason. The fotos on that site are not of the area that is puzzling me, need detail/fotos of the spindle housing/cover plates and mounting, searched the web over days but nothing with any detail hence my post. If nothing comes up will have to hoof it !!!!. Drgs show a dimension for the slots in pivot/mounting plate and then something different for the hole centres of the housing which I think is mounted to the plate.. :-[.... great.
Ramon, read up on all sort of articles on cam grinding including the late Ron Chernich's site, principle is ok with me but as skills limited do like to work to a sorted drg.
Jo, good luck with the Novo, seen quite a number of engine plans on the web the number of designs is wide.
Cheers
GW

Offline will53727

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
Hi All.

Re my earlier post for GA arrangement for the Switzer Cam Grinder or foto details of the head/spindle area. Haven't had any come back, was hoping one of our American friends who may have made one would be forthcoming, can anyone oblige???
Regards
GW

Offline techonehundred

• Chicago Suburbs
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
Try this page and see if any of the pictures or links are helpful.

http://www.modelenginenews.org/techniques/camgrind.html

Offline will53727

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Have looked at that link previously and read the article, which was useful for motor power and revs etc. but need more detail hence the request for more 'photos.
Cheers

GW

Offline ICEpeter

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
Take a look at the article posted at Home Model Engine Machinist > Tool and Tips > Tools > Another Cam Grinder
Search for: Another Cam Grinder. I used the concept as described in that article and build one myself slightly larger. It grinds multi cam camshafts up to 8 inch long and is also capable of grinding crankshafts up to 8 1/2 inch long. I use them in two ETW Sea Lion engines.

Peter J.

Offline ICEpeter

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the cam grinder I build.

Peter J.

Offline will53727

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
Thanks for the pics ICEPeter. That is surely a great piece of work. Where I'm at is that I've made lots of parts for the Switzer design from the drgs in Strictly IC and know, somewhat generally, how it supposed to work but there are so many anomalies that I can't see how they go together. Some dimensions conflict and as my skill level is not the greatest, I didn't work in an engineering environment when I was working, and the subtleties of some drgs eludes me, detail 'photos of an actual Switzer or a GA is where I'm at and was hoping someone who has made one could oblige. Onwards and upwards I suppose.
Many thanks for the reply.
GW

Offline petertha

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the cam grinder I build. Peter J.
That's a work of art. Not to detract from the original posted request, but if you ever care to show your tool in action or how you went about designing/constructing, it would make for very enjoyable reading IMO.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 08:31:24 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the cam grinder I build. Peter J.
That's a work of art. Not to detract from the original posted request, but if you ever care to show your tool in action or how you went about designing/constructing, it would make for very enjoyable reading IMO.
I agree, what a nicely built grinder. Please share this with us Peter?

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal