Author Topic: Time for a Change?  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Time for a Change?
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
Hi Niels - It's an Amadeal LV30 - R8 with the larger table. Without checking it exactly, it weighs some 230kgs.

Fortunately I have had an offer of help from one of our members - Andy B - an intrepid volunteer at our Forncett steam museum. Andy has a cunning plan he says and they are providing the kit for the lift. Another friend will help too - I think my major part will be to provide the bacon rolls  :D but first I have to get it from drive to inside the workshop  :o

For my size I've always had good muscular strength but these last few years of a sedentary lifestyle beavering away in the workshop has seen that decline considerably. All this latest pulling about took it's toll too the constant ups and downs, twists and turns leading to some pretty sore muscles protesting at the unaccustomed exercise.

Agh - Tempus Fugits

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
Hello Ramon

Mine is ,as far as I can see, exactly (apart from M3 R8) the same.
Nice machine but the driving head up and down handwheel on top of pillar will be outinvented and it will be outgeared with a belt drive to spindle.
I love modifying the  cast iron from decent people.
To ease moving around it is very easy to remove the 40+ kg table.
The tilting head is also at least 40 kg.Tilt it 90 degree counterclockwise and put the electronic box carefully down on table and loosen two nuts.It is wise to remove head before table and how do I know.

Good luck

Online sco

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
Best of luck installing the new mill Ramon.

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. ”   ;D

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 10:16:14 PM »
Hi guys - further to this ....

For those who expressed an interest - Bill, Bob etc -the yacht now looks like this.

I thought some of you who expressed that interest in this might like to know this has actually been completed and has now had its first 'sea trials'

Once the sails arrived it did not take long to get it rigged - all save one of the fittings were home produced, machined from stainless and black acetal. The decks were clear coated with an aerosol clear lacquer used on a previous hull refurbishment which has proved extremely resilient.

Last Saturday saw the first real trial - a tentative attempt had been made a fortnight previous but it was rather windy and so was I - prudence playing the greater part etc  ;)

Instead of our usual racing, last week was one of our 'open days' hence the Thames barges and Wherries on the water. Sue had first go while the initial pics were taken then it disappeared up the pond - it was a good hour before I could prise the transmitter out of her hands  ::)
As mentioned on the other thread Bill this is our pond  - 440 feet long by 80 feet wide with an average depth of 28 inches. Purpose built in 1929 for the express use of sailing model yachts (not radio controlled of course) it has a lovely imposing building at the near end (not in shot) which houses our two setting up rooms below with a very cosy club room above.

It exceeded all expectations on the water and performed beautifully several members having a 'spot at the helm' later.

Now, if Bob (Maryak) is reading this how about this for a coincidence. We'd had a good afternoon sailing and retired up in the clubroom for tea around 4 o'clock. As I came down to pack things away Sue and one of the other members were talking to a member of the public looking at the yacht. "Tug - this gentleman is very interested in your boat - he used to sail on them"  :o
He asked if he could see it on the water which of course we did and I asked him what position he sailed at "Skipper" he replied "On the Valsheda!"
He told me this was in later years when it was used for corporate charter but was still very much in racing trim - I told him of your picture of course. He left very pleased to see the yacht sailing and promised to return having just moved to the area - who know's we might have a new member  :)

Well that really is it for this thread - this boat at least is finished, the Mill still hasn't had a cut put on and no I haven't been distracted by all those Strictly I/C mags  - well not yet that is  ;)

I know it's not 'engine' but thanks for all your interest and comments hope it's been of interest all round.

Regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 10:37:34 PM »
That is a stunning piece of craftsmanship Ramon and you continue to set the scale high. Very impressive to say the least. Thank you for sharing this master piece with us. Is there any way you could get some of that to rub off on us.  :lolb:
That's the tops my friend!  :praise2:

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »
It's a beaut. I love the finish. Very well done.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2015, 12:28:34 AM »
Its truly beautiful Ramon and what a stunning finish. Thanks also for showing us the sailing venue...how nice it must be to have a dedicated "pond" for such models!!

Bill

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2015, 01:07:55 AM »

Now, if Bob (Maryak) is reading this how about this for a coincidence. We'd had a good afternoon sailing and retired up in the clubroom for tea around 4 o'clock. As I came down to pack things away Sue and one of the other members were talking to a member of the public looking at the yacht. "Tug - this gentleman is very interested in your boat - he used to sail on them"  :o
He asked if he could see it on the water which of course we did and I asked him what position he sailed at "Skipper" he replied "On the Valsheda!"
He told me this was in later years when it was used for corporate charter but was still very much in racing trim - I told him of your picture of course. He left very pleased to see the yacht sailing and promised to return having just moved to the area - who know's we might have a new member  :)

Well that really is it for this thread - this boat at least is finished, the Mill still hasn't had a cut put on and no I haven't been distracted by all those Strictly I/C mags  - well not yet that is  ;)

I know it's not 'engine' but thanks for all your interest and comments hope it's been of interest all round.

Regards - Ramon

Great and magnificent; such a wonderful coincidence, meeting a Velsheda skipper!

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2015, 01:40:05 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous! As Don mentioned you do us proud with all your work and this is no exception.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2015, 07:46:39 AM »
Another great job, not much else to say :)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »
Just fantastic Ramon!
Thanks for sharing it with us,
Kim

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
One VERY BIG GRIN from me :)
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Online Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2015, 03:21:56 AM »
Ramon,
I don't have any sailing background but have always loved the lines of a J Class yacht, magnificent work! I must admit I empathize with moving your mill. I rented the largest engine hoist a/z had the capacity was 300 pounds more than my mill. My machines are in place and useable but I still need to do some sorting out.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal