Author Topic: Time for a Change?  (Read 13252 times)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
Re: Time for a Change?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »

PS Sue and I love your image of Valsheda Bob. That's a very dramatic shot indeed. Love how that flag is in the foreground and the slack rigging on the port side with the starboard drum taught as well as the helmsman standing at such an acute angle to the deck. Wonderfully evocative. :ThumbsUp:

Glad you like it, the frame is 900 x 700 mm so it must have been taken with a pretty good camera. To me it looks like it was taken on the Solent but that's just a sentimental wild assed guess.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 11:39:41 PM »
Oh dear,  thanks Ramon,  I thought you were serious.  However,  I was thinking,  "bet he'll do a damn fine job at gardening,  but, what the Hell  is he going to do all winter  :lolb: :lolb:".

Eric

PS: hoped you enjoyed the song

Ah Eric my friend, at last someone who recognises my attempt at a little subterfuge. Apologies to everyone else who appear to have missed it but it was intended as a light hearted wind up.

My good fortune came out of the blue. A few weeks ago I was informed that my friend Bill's collection of 'Strictly I/C' magazines had unfortunately been skipped - I have a feeling I mentioned that elsewhere on here at the time. Friend Kenny was there yesterday when the 'gardening folders' were opened only to find the treasure inside  :o and Bills daughters very kindly sent them in my direction. Believe me - I count myself one extremely lucky and very fortunate guy. :)

So guys - not to make too much of a scene about it but I now have 84 issues of sheer I/C pleasure to wade through and no doubt torment my well addled thought processes with all kinds of temptation  ;D  Every issue, one through eighty four, is in pristine condition with, it would appear at first inspection, all the plans in place.

Like I said - the contents have the potential to have some influence over previous made plans and no, honestly, gardening is not likely to be one of them :D.

Hope you can see the lighter side of this - I really am well chuffed to have received these.

Regards to you all - Ramon

PS Eric - We liked it very much - will be in touch

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 12:40:55 AM »
My Definition of making a good easy maintenance garden is.......................

Concrete and green paving paint.  ::)

Yes Ramon, I was sucked in as well, then I thought, "Oh well shoveling and sailing both start with s as does summer." :LittleDevil:

Best Regards
Bob

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »
To me it looks like it was taken on the Solent but that's just a sentimental wild assed guess.
Best Regards
Bob
When I looked at the picture, my first thought was that the shoreline looks like just North from East Cowes.  So the yacht would be heading just South of East.  Did my apprenticeship at Saunders Roe, later British Hovercraft Corp just to the right of the picture.
Just another sentimental wild assed guess!
Lovely evocative picture.
cheers
Bill

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 05:55:32 AM »
Hi Ramon

Attached is some material relating to J Class yachts.

Maybe of use to you

Best Regards
Bob

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »
Thank You Bob - that is most appreciated  :ThumbsUp:

The hull I have is a slight variation on the NZ 'Canterbury' class. It differs in that the weight is inside the hull rather than attached to the outside which certainly makes for a somewhat easier build.

I gave it a float test yesterday and have had to take some weight out of the rear of the ballast by drilling - lead is not the easiest of stuff especially doing it freehand and down between the fibre glass keel sides. The deck goes on today, sails have been ordered but it may be some time before it sits on the water again as our pond is to be drained on Monday - at 400 x 80 ft draining it is one thing refilling it another  :o

It's nice to know that as well as our common interest of engines on here many are also interested in other modelling matters too  :)

Thanks again,

Regards - Ramon

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »
Ramon,

Your humor is understood and appreciated...keep it coming, and enjoy building all of those engines in Strictly IC.

Mosey

The best lawn is trees and leaves. :lolb:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:57 PM »
Glad you could see it Mosey ;)-

I'll do my best on the first count but the second? - well that's a tall order  :o. Nice thought though :D

Ramon

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
I think you'll be a lot happier working with composites as opposed to composted materials  :lolb: :lolb: Although a fresh cut arrangement on the ladies breakfast table scores many points  :lolb: :lolb:

E

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:52 AM »
Hi guys - as the title of this thread is appropriate I guess it's best to continue.

The yacht has reached a major stage but now has to be put aside for a few days in order to have a big pull about in the workshop to get ready for the new mill.

For those who expressed an interest - Bill, Bob etc -the yacht now looks like this.

The deck has been planked with lime - 34mtrs of 6mm x 1.5mm strips. (I bought 7 packs of 5 strips  and had one left over :D) with mahogany king and margin planks. It's not meant to be 'scale' - just a 'look a like' appearance

I know most J class yachts had deck planks matching the ships lines but A, this was easier (quicker) and B, doing them straight has the effect of making it look longer. The 'caulking' is strips of dark blue/grey paper inserted between each plank, the planks attached by thin cyano. Quite quick to do the longest part is sand/scraping it all smooth and flat after. It's 48 inch long  but a little deeper than those gorgeous lines you posted Bob in order to aid stability.

The mill is due in January some time. The only place I have to put it is on here - as you can see some new kit sits patiently waiting.

Though it's a strong bench the mill is quite heavy - 230+ kg so I feel that bench needs reinforcing to take the weight and spread the load on the wooden floor. Lot's of pulling about to do then ::). I'll be sorry to lose my 'slow speed attachment' on the drill -that's the inverted motor fixed to the wall top right which has been a boon for tapping. There's nowhere to attach it where the drill is going. It's not just a matter of parking the mill on there but one of trying to make/find room for 'stuff' that will get displaced. I confess that major pulling about is all a bit too much trouble these days but there's only one way to deal with it and that's just to get on with it  ;)

So - yacht and steam launch are firmly on hold until this is all done - there won't be much to say for a while

Regards - Ramon

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
Beautiful Deck Ramon  :ThumbsUp:

I have to say that until you pointed it out, I failed to notice that you had straight planked it.

We'll make a Matloe or even a Моряк out of you yet, the down side of that is you could, like me, develop an intense dislike for Holystone, Brasso, Steel deck plates and wire brushes.

Best Regards
Bob

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Looks very nice indeed Ramon. What would they have used as the lighter wood on th ereal thing as Lime is a bit soft and perishable in real use.

Your variable speed on the mill should make up for anything lost from the drill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »
Teak...
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »
If you decide to do a "herringbone" layout on some later model Ramon, start with the toe rail and work towards the center.   You can interlace, or use a nibbed king plank

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
Teak...

Thats what I would have thought but the lime is a lot lighter or is that just artistic licence though Ramon says it's "look alike" so thought they may have used something lighter?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal