Author Topic: Mystery steam engine  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Mystery steam engine
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
My friend who I rebuilt a Stuart Turner S9 for, bought another engine for me to have a go at.  It is a vertical, single cylinder, double acting steam engine with a 1/2" bore, and 3/4" stroke. It stands 4 1/4" high.  The steam chest has a cross cast on it. My mate wants a bit of info on it, and it will end up in his museum along with the S9, and some Mamod, and similar engines. 
    If anyone has a clue to the origin of this motor we would be thankful.
                                            Ian S C
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:33:50 PM by Ian S C »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Mystery steam engine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
Ian--All your pictures look like little black blobs. Try taking them again with some better lighting.---Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »
I can't help with the ID Ian, but it looks rather old. I would think that the cross on the steam chest cover might be a clue to someone...just not me :)

Bill

fcheslop

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
Might be worth asking Giovanni over on the  http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/index.php forum
I have seen them before  :embarassed: but cannot remember when or where
The cross on the steam chest Iv seen before thats whats ringing a bell .
cheers

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »
Hi guys, it's a Stuart Turner Progress S.V. (slide valve, vertical).  They were produced between 1930 and 1940, and put out as castings with the cylinder pre bored and faced.  I spent all afternoon on Google looking for info, and found on Wiki that there were a number of models in the Progress series, O.V.  O.H. , S.V.  S.H. and H.M.,  O for oscillating, and S for slide valve, and the H.M. is the horizontal mill engine, I don't know what the difference is between that and the horizontal slide valve engine.
It would seem that these engines in any version are quite rare.
The O.H. motor is now available from what I see on the net.
                                                         Ian S C 

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
As the little ST Progress SV is going into a museum, I decided a minimum amount of work should be done, it goes.  But the base had to go, it's not even much use as fire wood,  so I had a bit of Mahogany left over from my wood turning days, and some little brass spacers, and it looks similar to the few examples that I found on the web.  This engine kit cost 10/6  in 1924, and was the dearest,  while the O.V. cost 7/6, the O.V. motor is again available, I think it is about 75 UK Pounds.  these would be good little motors for beginners.  Ian S C
ps.  even with flash I don't seem to be getting enough light, I'll have to look into that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:51:51 PM by Ian S C »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »
ps.  even with flash I don't seem to be getting enough light, I'll have to look into that.

Try a dark background and illuminate the engine with a flood light of some sort.  Turn the camera flash off.

Your camera may be picking up all the light reflected from the white background and minimizing the exposure based on averaging that with the result that the engine itself is underexposed.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
a little image enhancement after the fact might help.

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips Woodsguy and Marv, I'm not up to much as far as the technicalities of photography.  Took the wee motor down to it's owner yesterday.  I think it may stop on his mantelpiece for a while, but there is the local Agricultural show on Saturday, and we show off our machinery there, and I think both his Stuart Turner engines might go, the S 9,  And the Progress.  Most the rest are full size, except my Hot Air Engines.  An example from last year.   Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal