Author Topic: PEEK as a bearing in flame eater/stirling engine?  (Read 7312 times)

Offline kellswaterri

Re: PEEK as a bearing in flame eater/stirling engine?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »
Stuart, I am shocked...Scrounging !!!  that is one of our pastimes here and how to do it well is a closely guarded secret...Not the best stuff for job  ?   reasons......
                        John.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
Scrounging !!!  that is one of our pastimes here and how to do it well is a closely guarded secret.

;)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Not sure what sort of plastic he has, but one of the lads on the Model Engineer site has plastic to give away (he is in England).
    A place to find very small bearing races: the guide rollers in old VHS video machines, some are about 3 mm bore.
                                                Ian S C

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
John

I based my experience with it in making piston valves for loco,s it turn up nicely but did not strike me as a good material for a Stirling engine , but it looks like I am wrong the sales data says otherwise

My main reason to use it was the dimension stability with temp to seal the valve
Anyway here is the data for my red face

http://www.quadrantplastics.com/eu-en/products/machinable-plastics/advanced-160-220-c/ketron-R-peek.html

:slap:
Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
thank you for that link ...Stuart. I'll Creeep up on them when they are not lookíng......
                                                                                           John.

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
the guide rollers in old VHS video machines, some are about 3 mm bore.

Just what I am on the hunt for now Ian...all old electrical gear goes to our local council dump and they are proving rather tecthy at the moment for some reason...I will keep working on them.    :thinking:
                                                                    John.

Arbalest

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »
Also consider old printers and Hard discs for small bearings.

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
Hi folks, I managed to retrieve a large photocopier from a friend of a friend...I am only part way through dismantling it and have a large tin of useful bits.( built like a tank these...)   have not got to any actual bearings yet but looking pretty good, lots of steel rollers,little gears and metal parts...considering the use these machines are put through there was practically no wear on the shafts nor on the Black (Plastic)Bearing they ran in...(some form of Peek)  perhaps?
                                                                                        John.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
Old printers, or any similar machinery, ideal  Christmas present for the children, there's nothing to beat pulling things apart, it's an advance over giving them a big cardboard box that can be a house, a ship, or anything they want it to be, meanwhile the toys get ignored, there by lasting about a week longer.
Now that a lot of old VHS tape machines are getting chucked, you got to get them before they get to the dump.  Most dumps here are off limits,  but garage sales are the place to find this stuff.
                                                Ian S C

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
Hi Ian, I would be very wary of letting the kids near a Printer using Toner power...I did a Google on the toner main opinion dodgy stuff,,,so out with the mask, and water spray...but ,as you say a proper treasure of very useful bits...I believe some people can make a good living from this.
                            John.

Arbalest

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
There are indeed lots of useful bits in photocopiers. But yes, they are a bit messy to take apart. If you spill any toner do not attempt to suck it up with a conventional vacuum cleaner, the filters aren't fine enough. They tried this at work and ended up putting a fine coating of toner on every flat surface in the area.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal