Author Topic: Tiny Vertical Based On G. Britnell's Design  (Read 37518 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Tiny Vertical Based On G. Britnell's Design
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2015, 12:51:58 AM »
Stew, I guess I had missed the last few posts after you got it running. Lovely work on the valve and base both. A question for you and/or George. Is this engine doable with US thread sizes say in the ranges of 0-80 or 00-90 rather than the small metric threads?

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2015, 01:20:13 AM »
Bill,
Shoot me an email and I will send you the drawings to play around with. You could probably get away with 00-90 but 0-80 would be too large. I'm thinking about bringing the threesome to Cabin Fever, the single vertical, the horizontal and the twin vertical. Oh yes and the twin launch.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »
Thanks for your comments and interest Chaps

George:- It was a pleasure to build thank you for having the imagination and creativity to come up with the idea.

Stew, I guess I had missed the last few posts after you got it running. Lovely work on the valve and base both. A question for you and/or George. Is this engine doable with US thread sizes say in the ranges of 0-80 or 00-90 rather than the small metric threads?

Bill

Bill:- I'm not to familiar with unified thread sizes but one thing I think you should consider is the cost of the taps suitable 10 or 12 BA taps eye watering expensive I suspect suitable unified taps will also be very costly, the advantage of metric taps is that the are an industrial world wide standard hence they are not so expensive, same goes for the nuts and screws, I bought a dozen taps from Hong Cong and they were less than £10 ($15) including postage and they worked fine I only broke one and that wasn't when tapping I was trying to flatten the point on the grinder and it snapped like a carrot so I stoned the point off by hand and it worked fine, try this ebay site http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pcs-M1-Straight-Flutes-Screw-Thread-Metric-Taps-/361191164179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5418abc913

I've been away on holiday so haven't had much time to update my drawings, I'll try and get them done later this week, its basically Georges Imperial Drawing that I've metricised but with my change from slide valve to piston valve,  in the mean time if any one wants a set just send me a PM with your email address and I'll get them to you when they are ready.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
Hi Chaps

I've finally got the drawings updated, if any one would like a copy just drop me a PM with your email address and I'll email them back with the drawings.

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal