Author Topic: Supercharged V12 2 stroke  (Read 33741 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Re: Supercharged V12 2 stroke
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »
........... I may well be tempted to build a 76" span ME 109 c/line model to fly it in...... maybee???????? Heck of a lot of work so we'll see what the future holds.

Cheers
Dean

I'm going well thanks, and its good to hear you are on the mend.

I thought I remembered the reference to the ME109, as expected it generated a bit of interest.

I've still got that trip up your way to think about at some point.

regards

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline 777engman

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05:52 PM »
Sure pete no problem mate when you are ready just pm me and i'll send you my details :DrinkPint: we can have a bit of a run up of motors if you like and a few cold ones maybe.

Here's the crank getting under way.

stage 1 face and center both ends of the bar stock
then machine flywheel diameter and front bearing journal

Next its off to the mill to index all the big end locations and mill all the unwanted material ready to turn the big end journal

Next it's back to the lathe to turn the big end journals and finish grind them, here are the special tools I made to perform this operation.

And the carrying out of said operation

This is the nibbling out  of the big end journal and then followed by the flywheel facing and applying the radius to the big end journals

Once all the big end journals have been finished the next stage of the crank machine is to rough out all the centre main journals. This is done by mounting the crank by the front finished main journal in the lathe in a Colette chuck with the rear main finished journal being held in a tail-stock scroll chuck holding the 2 ball bearing races mounted onto the bearing journal.
From this to

Then onto this

After a slight mishap which I WONT go into here I had to re machine the crank main journals and the centre main bearing had to be remade also, here is the end result.......
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:25:09 PM by 777engman »

Offline 777engman

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 03:46:44 AM »
Hi Ramon, condolences on the passing of your friend, looks like I have worked out the photo application now, thanks for your help mate.
cheers for now
Dean

Offline gadabout

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 03:58:39 AM »
Amazing work! I for one would like to see bigger pictures! Must be my old eyes!

Mark

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 07:56:06 AM »
Hello Dean, fantastic work so far :)

I particularly like how the journal diameters are larger than the crank pins. It probably does not matter at scale size, but it does give it a more realistic look.
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline 777engman

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 02:11:16 AM »
Hey guys n gals here's the next step in the V12 build

Here's the crank and super charger test assembled

Offline 777engman

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »
So I thought it would be a good idea to make an aircraft looking engine mount ,run stand for the V12 so here is the start of this part of the build....... :noidea:

And  i made a mahogany stand with brass tank assembly to mount it all on.

Here's the tank being made

Hope you enjoy

Cheers for now
Dean

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 07:56:46 AM »
Love it  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
As a matter of interest - were you aware of the Rolls Royce 2-stroke aero engine programmes (1935-45)? The ultimate engine was a 26 litre supercharged V-12 PDI 2-stroke called the "Crecy". Intended for a "sprint" interceptor version of the Spitfire (where fuel consumption was less of a concern) this engine developed about 1,400-1,500bhp into the propeller (about 15-20% more than the contemporary Merlins) but also produced direct thrust from its exhaust stubs that was calculated to be the equivalent of another 500bhp above 350mph (offering higher performance than the Griffon).

The project was proceeding well, but was given progressively lower priority as the focus of air warfare moved from British to European skies. It was finally abandoned at the end of the war.

NALOPKT (&EFGAS),

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
I really like the display stand. The streamlined tank, complete with the streamlined cap, is a terrific addition to the whole package.

--ShopShoe

Offline 777engman

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
Thanks, appreciate the kind words. almost finished the blower and will upload photos as soon as i get a chance.
cheers
dean

Offline billmac

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
The Crecy actually had quite a good BSFC compared to similar fighter engines, but then it was a radically different type of two-stroke, sleeve valved, stratified charge etc.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »
The Crecy actually had quite a good BSFC compared to similar fighter engines, but then it was a radically different type of two-stroke, sleeve valved, stratified charge etc.

Yes, I think of it more as a precursor to the sort of diesel 2-stroke that powers large ships these days. It's a bit of a shame they abandoned the project, because there were lots of potential avenues for further development including pressure-wave supercharging and even ventilated afterburners...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline 777engman

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 02:17:53 AM »
Hey guys so here's a quick update on whats been happening lately in the shed........ hope to be getting more time in there soon.............. really want to get this engine running before the suspense kills me!!!!!!!1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ClAKjZMOAiFr99oPQxxssUnytv4RC2QwdHcpuD_vaUg=s197-p-no

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/6cMx2ai4S9jxOjfD7d8yeHlhyauRBgke3sqHEotwUKM=s197-p-no

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/UnVnNC7k2EsEsboA01Vde1_kkJqQS-Y0arHoAof3Orc=s197-p-no

should be all together in the next few days.
cheers for now
Dean

Offline 777engman

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 07:00:37 AM »
Well finally got a bit more time in the shed and have managed to finish the assembling of the supercharger unit for the V12. I gave it a quick spin up with the starter motor and it sure gives a big blow through to sump holes!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!
Here's the photos

Also have started lapping the liners as per Ramons technique, here's a couple of photos so far.

Cheers for now
Dean

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal