Author Topic: Supercharged V12 2 stroke  (Read 33646 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Re: Supercharged V12 2 stroke
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »
Dean

I know, but the guys over here probably don't so I'll ask for them as they'll be interested in the answer. "What are you going to do with it when its finished".

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »
Drawings sent Dean - hope they are what you were expecting  ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline 777engman

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 07:24:33 AM »
Hey yea the drawings would be fantastic, and if I'm not pushing my luck too much could I possibly aquire a copy of the ED racer and super tiger as well??? ole mate?? LOL

Yea i had a burst appendix that went septic so it was a close call al right, nearly checked out of life. made it to the hospital tho and 4 hours of surgery later saw me stuck ina hospital bed for 6 days on intravenous antibiotics, then home to bed for a week. Slowly getting back onto the horse so to speak.
Cheers for now
Dean

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
3/ The super charger is a vane type with four vanes.

Ah - a Shorrock-type blower. What are you going to use for the vanes?

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline 777engman

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »
Hey there Allen,  the rotor vanes are made from 1/16th phenolic.
Also Ramon got the drawings for the eta's mate cheers for that. Also loving the work on the automatic 5 mate really fantastic.................. I am getting seriously tempted to try an inline twin version tho................... maybe.   :zap: :ThumbsUp: :o
Dean

Hey Pete how you goin mate? At this stage the plan is to get it running and mounted on the running stand till its run in and all the testing is completed, then I may well be tempted to build a 76" span ME 109 c/line model to fly it in...... maybee???????? Heck of a lot of work so we'll see what the future holds.

Cheers
Dean
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:02:10 PM by 777engman »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
.... then I may well be tempted to build a 76" span ME 109 c/line model to fly it in...... maybee????????

Really Dean - wow :o I hope you've got a real strong arm - no, two of 'em -  and plenty of weight to keep you upright  :D That would be one big C/L model to hang onto - a (very) strong bellcrank would be in order too  :Lol:

The Ato drawings are just pencil ones done before the advent (for me) of AutoCad. I'll get them scanned for you at some stage.

My sympathies over the burst appendix - that's a very serious situation. I had one of my diving crew suffer it off Sicily - very near lost him too as the client was very reluctant to send a chopper out late at night - he too was a very close call. Having survived that I heard later that he lost a leg in a diving accident when a wire rope pulled tight around him - Not so happy days :(

Ramon

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
.... then I may well be tempted to build a 76" span ME 109 c/line model to fly it in...... maybee????????

Really Dean - wow :o I hope you've got a real strong arm - no, two of 'em -  and plenty of weight to keep you upright  :D That would be one big C/L model to hang onto - a (very) strong bellcrank would be in order too  :Lol:

...or perhaps fly it on 500ft lines. I would suggest using heavyweight laystrate rather than the 3-strand stuff, and use a weightlifting belt for spinal support (and also consider a good pair of hermetically sealed underpants)...

:facepalm:

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline 777engman

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 07:57:35 AM »
LOL yea the line tension does  get a bit heavy at times, although i do have a bit of flying experience with larger models here"s a photo of my P61 black widow doing 100 plus mile an hour on 60' lines. Span is just over 56" power is 2 enya 29 glo engines. The other is my JU EF 112 with 2 enya 35 glo's, span also just over 56"
Cheers for now
Dean

P.S. Also have a 72" span PBY 5A Catalina ready to fly as well. c/line with electronic throttle control.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »
Lovely models Dean but 100mph plus  :o I don't dispute it but are you sure - I've just worked that out at 2.75 seconds a lap - I'm feeling rather giddy just thinking about it.

You certainly have some big models and the proof is in the pudding as they're in the air and on the lines  :ThumbsUp: I can well imagine the line tension. Haven't flown anything that big or heavy other than large aerobatic models. Not particularly heavy on the lines until flown in strong wind (which always seemed most of the time in competition) then you do begin to wonder about the integrity of the lines and control system :o That said never seen the lines part due to tension  ;)

Last picked up the handle in 2006 - now where has that time gone  :o

Regards - Ramon

Offline 777engman

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »
Yea that sounds about right, we clocked it at just over 2.5 sec's per lap on full noise. Flying models like this is something if have spent most of my life doing. When your flying these the concentration overcomes the giddiness, works for me anyway. The P61 is fully stuntable too, inverted and outside loops especially nerve racking, lazy eights are a breeze.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
Hell Dean - now that really is something. I can well imagine the wind up in consecutive loops - assuming you do doo consecutive loops  :o

I was never affected by giddyness - just a figure of speech - but I don't think I'd want to be hanging onto that in a stiff breeze  ;D

What type of line and thickness are you using?

Ramon

Offline 777engman

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 05:15:16 AM »
Here's the next stage of the build, cylinder heads and fin blocks.

Offline 777engman

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 05:28:18 AM »
And here's the rest of the progress, Ramon, I think I am not doing the picaso web album thingy properly or something as the url won't insert the photo images :killcomputer: :killcomputer:
dean
I almost forgot to describe the process
1/ square up the block
2/ drill and countersink the bolt holes
3/ separate the head from the fin block and surface the 2 faces
4/ bolt the head/fin block assy to the engine block
5/ setup in the mill and centre the cylinder holes and pilot drill
6/ machine the rebate for the glo plugs
7/ remove the cylinder head from the fin block and rebolt to the engine block
8/ machine the cylinder holes and ream to final size.
9/ set the engine block up in the mill on a special fixture to machine all the outside surfaces into profile and and cut all the cooling fins
10/ remove from the engine block and clean up, set up in milling vice to machine the transfer ports in the fin block and engine block
11/ change set up to machine exhaust ports into the fin block.

All done.
cheers for now
Dean
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:35:51 AM by 777engman »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
Dean - your enthusiasm for what you do has such an infectious exuberance about it  :ThumbsUp:

I often bemoan to myself the fact when doing two or more engines that I've got all those holes to do again - Hmmm - pales into insignificance by comparison. Very nice work indeed.

I will PM you at some stage re Picasa - have to leave now for a funeral and then it's back to get set up for the exhibition.

Ramon

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »
Just marvellous to see, Thanks.

Cheers, Hugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal