Author Topic: Cotton Ginning Days Old Engine & Tractor Festival 2014  (Read 3543 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Cotton Ginning Days Old Engine & Tractor Festival 2014
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:58:51 PM »
First off, I didn't get to look around much today being busy with registration for the event so I didn't take any pictures really. Will try to get some tomorrow when the crowds are less. We probably had close to 30,000 today with some 200 or so exhibitors.  I did take one picture this afternoon though..the young couple  pictured late teens or early 20's had restored this International Farmall. For our international members, October in the USA is breast cancer awareness month and these young people are doing their part to raise awareness in a rather unique way. Not often you see a pink tractor, but I thought it worthy or recognizing their efforts and the nice job they did on the restoration.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:32:59 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Cotton Ginning Days Old Engine & Tractor Festival 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:41:46 AM »
Today was about 20 degrees cooler than yesterday and cloudy and rainy at times too, so many of the exhibitors pulled out last night or this morning. I did get a few shots of some of our member's engines however. Picture 1 is of a Hercules which was our signature engine for this year's show as it was the 100th anniversary of Hercules engines. Photos 2 & 3 are of the same members Bessemer engine. Photo 4 is of a couple of log saws that were kept busy all weekend long. Photo 5 is of the 37.5 HP Fairbanks 2 cycle diesel engine that powers the cotton gin and bale press all weekend. This engine was purchased NEW by one of our members families when he was a youngster. Just getting it from the railhead to their farm is quite a story in itself. Photos 6-8 are of a nice little restored Stover and the last photo is of a small Hercules  circa 1917. Even with the weather today we had a great weekend and the biggest crowds ever.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:42:40 AM »
The last photo referenced above is included below.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »
Bill that's awesome and I remember well the cotton gin days when I use to go to the cotton gin with my dad for ginning. One cotton bale would weight from 550 to 650 lbs. after ginning. It would take 2200 to 2500 lbs. of cotton to get those bales. Thanks for the memories.

Don

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:23:54 AM »
Thanks for those especially teh drag saws as I have a hankering to make one of those to mount the next but one Hit & miss on.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
Thanks for those especially teh drag saws as I have a hankering to make one of those to mount the next but one Hit & miss on.

Nothing like thinking ahead eh Jason  ;) - my plans stretch well beyond any hopeful expectation that I will survive to at least one hundred and twenty  ;D

Bill thanks for the pics - it's good to see where others get too and whats on show  :ThumbsUp:

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:38:42 PM »
Nice to see that they all where running - thank you for the pictures.

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 06:12:49 AM »
Good one Bill, thanks for the photos.

Jim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »
Hi Bill, thanks for the pictures. Good to see them all in good condition .
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal