Author Topic: Traveling companion  (Read 2358 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Traveling companion
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
While I was polishing engines to take to the Vermont show in a few weeks, I was mulling over a some transport container for the Rider Ericsson. I've been using the Harbor Fright tool cases for the engines but, short of welding four of them together, the RE is not going to fit.
This showed up on EBay. It is a custom case for some band that once held a portable electrical distribution box and accessories.
After contacting the seller to get exact inside dimensions, and determining that it would fit with the flywheel removed, I bought it for a VERY good price. I did check with the custom case maker who built this one and was quoted $400 for a new case.
I've got nylon webbing and securing plastic hardware and will pop rivet these to the case then cover the rivets with thin foam.
Even though I've test fit other engines in the outer compartments, I'll most likely return them to their Harbor Fright cases as the damn thing needs two people to lift it. I can handle the RE in the case alone.
I've also bolted a 4 wheel moving dolly to the bottom.
Any suggestions for improvements are encouraged.

Best,
Stan

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: Traveling companion
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:54:50 AM »
You could put a hinged wagon handle on the top. Open it out and the box becomes easier to tow.

Alan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:06:24 AM »
Stan...nice case. Just be sure the loose flywheel and chimney don't contact the engine and rub during transport marring that gorgeous finish on the RE.

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »
Stan,
Can't hep myself, a stair glide for the back of your car :ROFL:. More likely is getting a hand putting it on four wheels
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »
I'll consider those ideas. What is a stair glide?
Bill
The loose parts will be strapped tightly to the case. Additionally, foam distributed throughout.
Best,
Stan

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:22:29 AM »
Stan,
A stair glide goes along the wall beside a stairs. Allowing people like my dad to still go into the basement when for health reasons he couldn't climb the stairs. My mother in-law used to use hers to carry the wash basket up and down the stairs till she really needed it. When her back healed up it sits once again. I don't know what sort of vehicle you have maybe some sort of ramp would allow you to roll the case out the back? That case looks quite nice, a good score.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:35 AM »
Art
I had only heard them called "stair lifts"
Stair glide was a new one for me.
The concept of the moment is to use the big case just for the Rider. I can use the side compartments for gas bottles and the burner and, perhaps, tools. That I can lift.
All of the other engines will go in the HF cases. Those will stack atop the big case with its wheels to roll the whole lot around.
Proof of concept in a few weeks when I go to the Vermont show.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal