Author Topic: Viability of running a Public Rally  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Viability of running a Public Rally
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
At my model engineering club (Guildford Model Engineering Society) we run an annual Model Steam rally (http://www.gmes.org.uk/rally.htm ) this year we proudly held our 45th show.

However the numbers are not looking good and this year we have made a loss on the event :shrug:.

The reason I mention is that we have just analysed our visitor numbers over the years and where in 2004 we had over 3,500 paying visitors, this year (ok it rained) the numbers was down to fractionally over 1000, last year was better weather and we got about 1800, the trend however is clear it is going downwards.

Before we starting looking to cut back on our costs:  :help: Are other club shows suffering in the same way?

Jo
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:11:16 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Viability of running a Public Rally
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
I certainly think the weather had an effect on numbers, it probably did not stop the die hard model engineer but local members of the public wanting a day out would likely have given it a miss.

Out of interest are your exhibitor numbers also down ? it did seem that there were a lot less traction engines in the lower field than I remember from a few years back. Also a lot of the same engines on display in the tent as previous years, maybe you should invite some other modelers to display their engines to get a bit more variaty.

There is also the fact you had less of the big name traders (Chronos, RDG, Warco, Myford) which again lessens the draw and is a bit of a catch 22 situation as the traders won't come if numbers are down.

Basingstoke clubs traction engine rally and exhibition which has just started up in the last couple of years will also take some of the numbers from you as people will do one show not both. They had far more engines than you even in the past though a lot less traders though there is no entry fee to the public.

J
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:44:05 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Viability of running a Public Rally
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Traders:  Chronus dropped out a few years ago as they were not taking enough money to cover their costs. Warco are cutting back all round this year including cancelling their own show. RDG took over Myford and cannot keep up with the mail orders for Myford spares, so couldn't spare the time. But we picked up a few new traders this year.

We hoped for more traction engines in the lower field but most stayed away due to the rain.

However the trend we have identified is over the last 8 years and three years ago we had all the traders and people had money in their pockets..

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal