Author Topic: Forncett Industrial Steam Museum's Model Engineers Day  (Read 10282 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Forncett Industrial Steam Museum's Model Engineers Day
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »
Thanks Ramon, from what I read elsewhere one of our group was more than a little taken by one of the traction engines ;) and I see you were looking a Benson engines again - you know you want to :)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
Looks to have been a great show  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: That Lego crane was magnificent  :praise2:

There was a question on the forum a little while ago (which I can't find) regarding an unknown half complete steam engine. The curved end of the frame was reminiscent of 'Vinegar'
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
Hi Ramon, thanks for  sharing all these pictures. It seem to be  a nice location and a good atmosphere there too.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline AndyB

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
Hi all,

My first post but I just wanted to thank Sue for taking the wonderful photos (well, all except one  :Lol:)
As Ramon says, it was, and always is a fantastic day and this year was the best yet.

One downside to the event is that the condensor packed up on the 1879 Gimson beam engine (which I think is the most beautiful engine there) so we think that we have got to renew the piston ring on the air pump. We replaced it 4 years ago with a man-made fibre rope rather than the original sisal (yes, you did read that correctly) and it is a bit of a job...after stripping down the linkages and cylinder the piston and rod weigh about a quarter of a ton, and a new rope ring wound round the parallel ring groove. The ends have to be thinned in order to fit.

Where else can you have so much fun at the weekends?

Thank you for posting this Ramon. If anyone can make it next first Sunday in October for the Model Engineer's Day please do come. Sue's photos give a great indication of the atmosphere; it is like a great gathering of old friends even if you haven't met any of them before. Sounds daft I know but that is the only way I can begin to describe it...you also get to hear some of my old squit  :ROFL:

Andy

PS. It is called the vinegar engine because it came from Sarsons. I believe it used to pump molasses.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:16:45 PM by AndyB »
Cry "god for Harry, England and Drummond Lathes"

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »
Sorry for the delay folks, it's been a bit hectic since we got home from Norfolk (all pleasure I might add).  Forncett is great, the people are great and we had a great time on our way home from the north coast.  Here are some random pictues:

Tug's (Ramon) end.   Chris's (modelsteam) engines are at the start of the video)

Simon's (sco) version of Chuck's V8 compressed air engine created a lot of interest

Have you ever seen a better presented cheese roll?

Sally took some video which I've cobbled together

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xFc7CdY_0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xFc7CdY_0</a>

Cheers,

Rod

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
Super photos Rod and a great video - thanks indeed :ThumbsUp: That's certainly made up for all our sorry and shaky efforts  ::)

Glad you could make it - will you demo the Dyno next year?  ;)

Regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »
Hi Rod, thanks for sharing the pictures and the  video.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »
Thanks Rod. You are right, Simon's V-8 Fellows engine is a beauty. Simon, :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:.
Not only do the engines look great, those cheese rolls have my mouth watering. I bet with some sizzling hot bacon dropped on top of them :thinking:. Aw that's just the "pork" in me talking. Great show.

E

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »
I dunno  :headscratch: Stilldrillin's flapjacks, those cheese rolls, I'm sorely tempted  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the pictures guys; they are great!

Dave

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »
Great pictures Rod. And I loved the video. Especially seeing the contrast between Tug starting his engine and the Corliss guys doing pretty much the same with theirs!

I must get up to Norfolk sometime.

John
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal