Author Topic: Forncett Industrial Steam Museum's Model Engineers Day  (Read 10299 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Forncett Industrial Steam Museum's Model Engineers Day
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
Hi Guy's - for those within travelling distance of Norwich (UK) just in case you are not aware this Sunday see the 'Model Engineers Day' at the museum. There's a very good entry this year - traction engines from littl'uns to the full size in the grounds along with the usual eclectic display of static and running models inside and out the museum. The pond has been cleared so the steam boats will no doubt be out in force too. With the full size stationary engines in steam along with the great refreshments it promises as ever to be a great day out - well worth a visit.

Hope some of you can make it - Chris and I will promote MEM on our table and we may have a couple of other members join us too. If you are a forum member (or avid lurker) come and say hello. For those of you who can't make it Sue has said she will take lot's of pics so we'll show you what you missed afterwards  :D

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Forncett Industrial Steam Museum's Model Engineers Day
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
Sorry Tug, A bit too far for me to join you. Have a good time

Look forward to seeing the pictures  ;D

Jo
-  -  -  -
P.S. you could drop the MEM poster back to me at the Midlands show if you want to off load it  ;) and did I recall something about another drawing of a steam engine you were trying to entice me with back at Guildford  :naughty:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:23:09 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
Steam engine drawings, who's got steam engine drawings :P

Yes have a good day Ramon and as Jo says if you have a moment between playing with demonstrating your engines a few photos would be nice.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »
Thanks Jo and Jason - Chris, Simon and I - possibly Rod as well will do our best  ;)

We're now off - back later with some pics

Jo - I had the drawings ready for you for OW - just forgot to pack them :old:

Regards - Ramon

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
Have a nice day and we are looking forward to the photos ;)

Jo

Online sco

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
Had a totally brilliant day - great company, nice weather and my word what a fantastic little goldmine Forncett is!

Only fly in the ointment is my video camera went on the fritz and seems to have over written most of the videos I took such that there are only two left of the Corliss engine  >:(

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b37ruxE8olA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b37ruxE8olA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Mm2GbCisM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Mm2GbCisM</a>

Simon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:14:51 PM by sco »
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
Ah 'Patience Laddie' - it's been a long day and I'm 'talked' out  ;D

What a brilliant day - The event attracted more public than ever - the place was absolutely buzzing and the mezzanine floor was given it's annual stress test with a passion

Like Simon we had problems with pics - unfortutely low light levels showed up camera shake on quite a few but here are the best o the 'outside' shots.

A large 9" to the foot Sentinel type steam lorry - an absolute charmer

The event is always blessed with some larger scale steam vehicles of some kind

And some not quite so large

Running a few of the engines drew a small gathering

This one is a bit special as it catches my good friend Chris, aka 'ModelSteam' and an avid MEM lurker - saying something to his wife Gill. I thought he was saying 'Cor Gill, these engines are fantastic - I can't wait to get home and post about them on MEM' but I was obviously mistaken  :lolb:

I'll put the indoor ones up tomorrow

Sleep tight - I know I will  ;)

Ramon

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 12:31:31 AM »
Great pics Ramon, er, Tug, Aw you know who you are. The traction engines are fabulous. I can't even begin to imagine the man-hours invested in those beauties. Not only great machine work, but, the tins are spectacular.

E

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 05:59:59 AM »
I'll put the indoor ones up tomorrow

Looking forward to seeing them  8) I saw your good self, Chris, Gill and Simon in the Photo's I assume Sue was the acting photographer for the live running event  ;)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:50:01 AM »
Thanks Ramon, Looking forward to the rest.

J

Offline modelsteam

• Cambridgeshire in the UK
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
Nice one Pal - What a fantastic day , the people we met , the weather and of course the location.

Here's to the next time.

Chris

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Coo I bet you had to sit down and take a breather after that mate  ;D - careful now, don't you overdo things - you're nearing that ten post mark remember  :ROFL:

Whiskey - you are so right there - truly wonderful work but what a project  :o  I don't think I could ever take something like that on so my hat is well and truly off to those that do

Jo we had a - ahem! - 'mini-MEM' turn out  :D Chris, Simon, Rod (Tangler) and myself. Rod called in with Sally on his way back home from a holiday in Norfolk - you and Jason should have been here  ;) Unfortunately Sue (and I) overlooked the 'requisite' group shot

Here are the pics as promised - we (Sue took them all for you) are quite disappointed in that most appear to have suffered from camera shake due to those low light levels (you'll see just how bad on a separate post later) and they really aren't suitable. Even some of these exhibit it in areas but here's the best of them.

Despite attempting to clear the pond the week before the steam boats were beaten by the weed however these two stalwarts made an attempt

Most of the boats were displayed inside - these are pics of the same boats from last years show

The event is often blessed with the arrival of several classic cars which adds yet another flavour

Virtually all of the engines are steamed at intervals throughout the day - this engine originally powered the hydraulic accumulators on Tower Bridge

and this lovely little engine tucked in a corner behind would make a lovely model. Nicknamed the 'vinegar' engine it allegedly ran continuously for twenty five years in a pickling factory.

And so to the upper floor display .......
This small area above the main engine shed, usually given over entirely to the tea room, is taken over for the air running exhibits. With compressed air to all outer tables the center area is given over to static display. Not so populated as in days past due to steep stairs and declining years!

This little fella was intently looking at the model but turned at the last second - best pic of the day

Even his sister was interested

A good interest in the MEM area ....

and yours truly talking first time exhibitor Martin into becoming a MEM member  ;)

Though fundamentally a small event the atmosphere never the less has the place buzzing at times with constant interest from the visitors

Downstairs another surge of interest was being shown in the newly installed Victorian workshop - lathes, mill, shaper, drills and endless amounts of belting

all in the capable hands of 'Andy B'

And this little chap - all of nine years old - and a potential candidate for the future had brought his Lego mobile crane along but had left it in the car. Encouraged to display it by one of the exhibitors it was proudly presented for all to see. Fully working including the out riggers he told us he had disappeared into his bedroom at Christmas and emerged three days later with it completely finished. The image shows Dr Rowan Francis the museum owner (in blue) and Bill Starling the event organiser getting details of this potential candidate for future events

Well that's it I'm afraid, another year when pics have not lived up to expectation but we did our best - we'll try harder  next year

Hope you've enjoyed your 'visit' to this charming and lovely little event

Regards - Ramon

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
Very nice pictures Ramon!  Looks like a great event, thanks for posting these!
Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 04:57:17 PM »
 8) I recognise a few engines there.

And nice to the youngsters showing an interest  :ThumbsUp: Sadly model engines does seem to be a hobby more for the older generation  :-\

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »
Thanks Ramon, from what I read elsewhere one of our group was more than a little taken by one of the traction engines ;) and I see you were looking a Benson engines again - you know you want to :)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
Looks to have been a great show  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: That Lego crane was magnificent  :praise2:

There was a question on the forum a little while ago (which I can't find) regarding an unknown half complete steam engine. The curved end of the frame was reminiscent of 'Vinegar'
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
Hi Ramon, thanks for  sharing all these pictures. It seem to be  a nice location and a good atmosphere there too.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline AndyB

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
Hi all,

My first post but I just wanted to thank Sue for taking the wonderful photos (well, all except one  :Lol:)
As Ramon says, it was, and always is a fantastic day and this year was the best yet.

One downside to the event is that the condensor packed up on the 1879 Gimson beam engine (which I think is the most beautiful engine there) so we think that we have got to renew the piston ring on the air pump. We replaced it 4 years ago with a man-made fibre rope rather than the original sisal (yes, you did read that correctly) and it is a bit of a job...after stripping down the linkages and cylinder the piston and rod weigh about a quarter of a ton, and a new rope ring wound round the parallel ring groove. The ends have to be thinned in order to fit.

Where else can you have so much fun at the weekends?

Thank you for posting this Ramon. If anyone can make it next first Sunday in October for the Model Engineer's Day please do come. Sue's photos give a great indication of the atmosphere; it is like a great gathering of old friends even if you haven't met any of them before. Sounds daft I know but that is the only way I can begin to describe it...you also get to hear some of my old squit  :ROFL:

Andy

PS. It is called the vinegar engine because it came from Sarsons. I believe it used to pump molasses.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:16:45 PM by AndyB »
Cry "god for Harry, England and Drummond Lathes"

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »
Sorry for the delay folks, it's been a bit hectic since we got home from Norfolk (all pleasure I might add).  Forncett is great, the people are great and we had a great time on our way home from the north coast.  Here are some random pictues:

Tug's (Ramon) end.   Chris's (modelsteam) engines are at the start of the video)

Simon's (sco) version of Chuck's V8 compressed air engine created a lot of interest

Have you ever seen a better presented cheese roll?

Sally took some video which I've cobbled together

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xFc7CdY_0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xFc7CdY_0</a>

Cheers,

Rod

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
Super photos Rod and a great video - thanks indeed :ThumbsUp: That's certainly made up for all our sorry and shaky efforts  ::)

Glad you could make it - will you demo the Dyno next year?  ;)

Regards - Ramon

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »
Hi Rod, thanks for sharing the pictures and the  video.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »
Thanks Rod. You are right, Simon's V-8 Fellows engine is a beauty. Simon, :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:.
Not only do the engines look great, those cheese rolls have my mouth watering. I bet with some sizzling hot bacon dropped on top of them :thinking:. Aw that's just the "pork" in me talking. Great show.

E

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »
I dunno  :headscratch: Stilldrillin's flapjacks, those cheese rolls, I'm sorely tempted  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the pictures guys; they are great!

Dave

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »
Great pictures Rod. And I loved the video. Especially seeing the contrast between Tug starting his engine and the Corliss guys doing pretty much the same with theirs!

I must get up to Norfolk sometime.

John
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal