Author Topic: 1/4 scale traction engine governor gear repair  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Bobsmodels

1/4 scale traction engine governor gear repair
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:28:59 PM »
See two posts down for entire original post on another site.

Hi

Just thought I would post a note here. I have a 1/4 scale 24hp Minneapolis traction engine that needed the gears on the governor repaired. I was getting assistance on the SmokStak traction engine site and if you want to see my solution go to this thread. There is a youtube link and two PDF files detailing the gear layout using Law's book. It also details the approach I finally took (using miter gears).

Again just an FYI for those who have one of these engines.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1089932#post1089932

Bob
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:30:57 PM by Bobsmodels »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: 1/4 scale traction engine governor repair
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:48:48 AM »
Bob

The PDFs are not available unless you register

Could you not link them here

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:32:06 AM »
Stuart

I was not aware of that, here is the entire post.

Bob
*********************************************************************************************************
Hi all:

First, I want to thank all who helped out with ideas and information on this project.

To make a long story short I went from laying out and designing the gear using Law’s book on gear design to a final answer that used readily available miter gears. I opted for miter gears rather than bevel gears for a number of reasons. Primarily they required the least amount of effort to implement. The idea for miter gears came from a fellow modeler who pointed out some other approaches to gears.

The project is done and the governor works just fine as you can see in the video link.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXmA2ebE58" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXmA2ebE58</a>

I have attached two PDF files due to site size restrictions with all the information I gathered.

The first PDF file starts with a discussion of choices. There is a complete layout for the 22 and 33 teeth gears for those who might want to try that approach. Then there are pictures of the ¼ Scale Minneapolis setup at the Rock River Thresheree.

The second PDF file contains a detailed discussion of the miter gear choice and of how I made the changes and the specific gears I used (lots of pictures). The total time from when the gears arrived to running on the engine was two days, not all of which was in the shop. I think I spent about 12 hours on the project once the approach was chosen.

Thanks again

Bob
*******************************************************************************************************
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:35:27 AM by Bobsmodels »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »
Thanks Bob

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal